Hi Randall and osg-users...

I ran into very similar issues in my attempt to implement OSG & Collada.  I
tried to download the latest version suggested from OSG to get the Collada
plugin to work on MS Visual Studio. Have you had any luck or made any progress
or heard back from any other users since you posted your message on 4-26-2013?

Below are the exact versions of OSG/Collada/MS VS I tried to integrate and the
problems I encountered. Basically, the bottom line is after compiling and
linking and finally getting a version that links, the Plugin is not recognized
when I try to write a ".dae" file.  Here is exact error message I am receiving
(also highlighted in my documentation below)-- Warning: Could not find plugin
to write nodes to file "lod1.dae".

Documenting Installation of OSG Collada Plugin:

Collada in OSG:  Installing of "collada-dom-2.40" (OSG Collada Plugin)-

·        Downloaded collada-dom-2.4.0.tgz from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/collada-dom/

·        uncompressed and un-tarred using "7-Zip" file manager

·        Building and Installing collada-dom-2.40

o   Building with CMAKE---- a lot of problems with CMAKE, so going to compile
it from vc++ v9 documentation

§  Needs Cg 2.0.. latest is Cg 3.1
https://developer.nvidia.com/cg-toolkit-download

·        Cg 2.0/3.1 compatibility--- possible problems so installed older
version Cg

·        Possible incompatibility with my version of Direct X current installed
-- http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/hh452744.aspx

§  Had to set BOOST env variables: BOOST_ROOT, BOOST_INCLUDEDIR,
BOOST_LIBRARYDIR... still CMAKE cannot find the libraries.  Suggestion was to
try an older version and will clear up issues. so installing BOOST 1.44.0.

o   Building in MVS 2008 V9 C++ (Version 9.0.30729.1 SP)

§  Trying the install directly in MVS V9 (without CMAKE)

§  Followed instructions from:
http://collada.org/mediawiki/index.php/DOM_guide:_Setting_up#Downloading_the_COLLADA_DOM

§  with additional instructions (Dec. 2012) - "TheOrestes"  #3 --
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/628276-setting-up-collada-dom-240-in-vs-2010/

§  trying to resolve compile problems to ZAE references by adding preprocessor
flag "NO_ZAE"

·        results:   compiled no errors.... hopefully now I have a static
collada_dom library

·        Someone else got it to work with "NO_ZAE" in May 2009....." I've
compiled COLLADA dom 1.4 with them using the NO_ZAE and NO_BOOST defines
on."...
http://collada.org/public_forum/showthread.php/990-Collada-external-libs-and-64-bit-Windows

o   BUILD OSG CLIENT APPLICATION with COLLADA DOM:   ....Adding the Build
Collada library to existing OSG OpenFlightLOD extraction project:

§  Currently still get error....Writing file = lod1.dae---- Error writing file
lod1.dae: Warning: Could not find plugin to write nodes to file "lod1.dae".

§  Add collada-dom libraries to current project to tell it there is a plugin.

§  removed these Linker-->General-->Additional Library Directories: C:\Program
Files\boost\boost_1_53_0\libs; C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_53_0\bin.v2\libs;
C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_53_0\bin.v2\libs\regex\build\msvc-9.0;
C:\Program
Files\boost\boost_1_53_0\bin.v2\libs\regex\build\msvc-9.0\debug\link-static\threading-multi
NOTE: Don't need these because using the boost that comes with collada dom
download.

§  Added all definitions to build Client App from ...
http://collada.org/mediawiki/index.php/DOM_guide:_Setting_up#Building_client_applications

·        Compiled and linked without errors... BUT... STILL get Error writing
file lod1.dae: Warning: Could not find plugin to write nodes to file "lod1.dae".
Found this interesting text in log file on google search...
"      * CMakeModules/FindCOLLADA.cmake,
          src/osgPlugins/dae/daeRMaterials.cpp: From Roland Smeenk,
          "Attached are two small fixes:
          -I changed the SET of COLLADA_BOOST_INCLUDE_DIR to use findpath,
          so users may override this setting if they choose not to build
          against to precompiled boost libraries delivered with the Collada
          DOM."
and...
               "* CMakeModules/FindCOLLADA.cmake,
                 src/osgPlugins/dae/CMakeLists.txt: From Roger James and Robert
                 Osfield, fixes and reorganization to better support Windows
dynamic library build"
       and...
               * src/osgPlugins/dae/daeWTransforms.cpp: From Roland Smeenk,
                 "Attached is a fix for the Collada plugin. A
                 PositionAttitudeTransform wrote its place elements in the
wrong order."

The following is the post I am replying to from:
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/pipermail/osg-users-openscenegraph.org/2013-April/063155.html

I'm having trouble with the OSG Collada plugins on Visual Studio.  I
tried downloading the recommended version from the website, but that now
leads to a dead-end.  I dug the the same Collada 2.2 download I use on
Mac & Linux, but I am completely unable to get CMake to recognize boost
on windows, as well as getting lots of Cg header errors when using their
provided solution file.

Has anyone tested if the new Collada 2.4 works with the OSG Plugins?
Can anyone provide a copy of the good-working version of Collada for me
to build?
--
Randall Hand
www.yeraze.com<http://www.yeraze.com>

Steve Rice
Associate Technical Fellow
Distributed Technologies
Strategic Development & Experimentation, Phantom Works
Boeing Defense, Space & Security
The Boeing Company
+1-714-896-2659 (Office)
+1-714-861-9655 (Cell)