Hi Eric,

On 3 June 2013 11:42, Eric Sokolowsky <esok....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been an active contributor to OSG in the past but have not kept up
> with recent developments. I have an application that uses OSG 2.8.5 mostly
> unmodified except for one patch that changes the way osgText breaks up
> words. I am wondering how easy it is generally to port programs forward from
> OSG 2.8.5 to the current release (appears to be 3.0.1, at least that is what
> is available by default in Fedora 17).

Mostly it should be just a re-compile.  The main changes were
additions that won't require changes to most applications that use the
OSG.

> I am of course willing to submit the changes I made to the word splitting in
> OSG, but how accepted will that be to the community? With the default word
> splitting, I was seeing things like:
>
> Large numbers split in the middle: "1,000\n,000,000" (The \n is where the
> line split occurred)
> Punctuation shown at the beginning of the next line instead of at the end of
> a line: "This is the end\n. This is another sentence."
> Date/time split in strange places: "15:27\n:12"
>
> My new rules make the only splitting points at spaces and at hyphens
> (leaving the hyphen at the end of the line). If others depend on the current
> line-splitting method, I can create a patch that would allow the user to
> choose which method to use.

It's hard to know without seeing the submission, feel free to submit
and I can then have a think.  We also have a TextNode implementation
in the works that allows custom control of layout among other elements
so it might be a good place for the custom work.