The magic gnomes visited.

I deleted my source tree and re-checked out.
Still no luck. Now it can't even find stdlib.h. Hmm.

I then tried various other versions of Xcode via xcode-switch, and found my old
xcode4.6.3 wasn't installed properly. Not that it worked when I fixed that,
because the scripts pick up a SDK of 10.9 which isn't supported by 4.6.3.

Anyway; I switched back to xcode5-dp6, rebooted for some other reason not
related to this problem at all, and low and behold while I was messing with
other things the gnomes visited and fixed everything. How odd.

I wonder ... who let them in?

Anyway; for reasons unknown to mortal man it's now working. Yay, I guess!

--
Neil