Hi,

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Mohamed Alji <osgfo...@tevs.eu> wrote:

> **
> Hi,
>
> Very good point, you are right. OSG is a technology , I have to see it as
> a tool in my research.

Keep that in mind - it is easy to slip into the engineering mindset and
just do some coding or whatever - but that isn't really research and a lot
of people get burned by that. They arrive to the thesis defence with a
mountain of code, but nothing really new, scientifically speaking.

> Where can I find an open AR problem ? where am I supposed to look ? How to
> do that ?

Well ... I think that the best thing to do is to look for books, papers,
theses etc. in the field you want to work in. That will give you the idea
what is known and is considered the state of the art. It takes time,
because you must first understand the field sufficiently to essentially
"know what you don't know" :) Then you can pick a problem to work on.

Your thesis advisor/director and senior researchers in the lab you are
going to do the doctorate at could help you a lot there. Typically they
might have a topic or problem for you to work on already.

Also don't worry too much about the topic you may be asked to write on your
PhD application - one usually puts there something extremely generic,
because you won't know a good problem to work on before you have done about
a year of research in the field!

> ps: I found a thesis director, I will speak to him later today.

I think that is the best thing to do.

J.