I hit this recently and it's due to a rather peculiar assumption by MS:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dn574798.aspx

Basically they've gone and broken every DPI aware program by assuming that
every program without the appropriate manifest setting is wrong.

Scroll done a bit and check out the manifest bit and add that to your
program, that should fix things for you.