Thanks Robert.

Indeed, locally I have uncommented that line and it seemed to work fine, but I
am new to OSG and so I can't say for certain that nothing broke or went wierd
because of it.

Could you elaborate a bit on: "It's quite rare of osg::StateSet to have
callbacks on them". I suspected that this might have been the case, what is the
usual method of "achieving the same thing" as it were?

I am using the callback on the stateset to swap a texture, if required for a
rendering pass. I looked at doing it as a callback on the Drawable or Node, but
then I would possibly have multiple callbacks for a single stateset if the
stateset was shared.

Cheers,
Damian