HI Christian,

osgUtil::Optimizer has a visitor called  StateVisitor that looks for
duplicate state a removes it, by default it's called when you call
Optimizer::optimize(..);   The Optimizer will however only work on the
scene graph you give it, so you have to give it the root node and is
typically used at start up on the main scene graph.

For scene graphs that incremental add new subgraphs there is the
osgDB::SharedStateManager that you can osgDB::Registry and have it do the
merge for you.

Robert.