Ok, I've narrowed down the problem. It turns out it only occurs with some of
the .osg/.osgt files from the SampleData. If I try and load the "cessna.osg",
"cessna.osgt", "cow.osg", or "cow.osgt" files, then my entire computer
instantly freezes so badly that I can't even kill the process. But if I load
the "fountain.osgt" file, everything works fine. It even animates the
fountain's particle system just fine.

I've checked and the problem exists with either the arch 3.2.1 build or when I
build 3.0.1 myself. I'm using the 3.0.0 sample data. Is there an updated
version? Or do I need to convert the files somehow? I'm kind of lost because
everything freezes so fast that I don't even get any erros messages printed to
the log. The log is completely empty, a black screen shows up, and then the
entire computer freezes and I'm forced to shutdown and start all over. I've
been reading through the Quick-Start guid for 3.0.0 and basically all of the
features seem to work fine. It's just loading those particular scene files that
causes this error.