HI Alex,

MultiPassTechnique will be able to handle rendering of 3D elements that
intersect the volume, this includes arbitrary slice geometry like in the
example.  Simply create the slice geometries yourself with the appropriate
texture mapping and then place them in the scene.  When the
MiltiPassTechnique renders it will render the 3d scene to a colour buffer
and depth buffer then use this when rendering the volume.

I don't recall off the top of my head how you pass on the 3d subgraph, it's
probably just added as a child.  Sorry I can't be more specific, it's been
a few years since I wrote it and am away from my dev machine right now.

Robert.