On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 at 14:53, Eric Sokolowsky <esok...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trademark holders *must* defend their trademarks, or they lose them.

Indeed this is true.  It's only part of the story though.

Khronos mission is to develop and promote open APIs, as part of this
they trademark projects they undertake, they also develop APIs then
promote their use.  If Khronos do view VulkanSceneGraph as potentially
infringing then we'll need to discuss with them about granting
permission to use this name, the benefit for Khronos is the it is
significant step in promoting their own cause.

We have three options:

  1) Ignore the issue, if Khronos decide they want to discuss the name
then deal with it then.

  2) Reach out to Khronos and be co-operative

  3) Change the name to something else less relevant

Currently, approach 2 is what Chris has kicked off, no response yet,
so we may need to reach out a bit further.

I am about head off on holiday for a week so won't be doing any
chasing up myself right away.

With Siggraph coming up this might be a good time to reach out and
chat face to face. I won't personally be attending, but If you are
attending then let us know.

The project is less than a month old, so I'm not too concerned about
things as they stand right now.  If things don't go the way I'd prefer
then we just fallback to 3, the design and code won't change, it'd be
a wasted opportunity and bit of money spent on URLs but nothing major.

Robert