Hi Mathias,

On 11/9/06, Mathias Froehlich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Good morning Robert,

Good morning, yep we are both in Europe, so morning it is for both of us :)

Ok, found it :)
I sucessfully use that otimizer and had a quick look into the flags and did
not remeber something like 'balance' or 'quad tree' or whatever.
As german - I expect you have already identified that - I had not connected
spatialize with a quadtree ...

SPATIALIZE_GROUPS is the one, it takes any flat groups and converts
then into a spatially balanced quad tree.  Some databases come in from
modelling packages with 10,000's of nodes all in a single group.
Creating a quad tree from them makes a massive difference to cull
performance.

Aehm, I came across something in osg::Material.
The osg::Material::apply routine is the only place where glEnable is called
outside the codepath used for the osg::StateSet::setMode().
I wonder if this is a source for inconsistencies in the osg::State in the
sense that osg::State believes GL_COLOR_MATERIAL is not enabled but the
osg::Material::apply just did enable that?

osg::Material is a bit of an oddity in that its the only place, as
you've spotted, where it does its own mode setting.

Ideally osg::Material should be split out into two classes, and the
mode setting removed from it.  osg::Material is a very old class now,
predating most of the other osg::StateAttributes, its served us well
though - the mode oddity you've spotted is not something that users
ordinarily hit upon.  Actually I think you are the first person to
spot this and mention it publically :-)

The way to use osg::Material is just as a black box and leave it to
control GL_COLOR_MATERIAL, rather than doing the setMode's yourself.

In the longer term I need to do a refactor on osg::Material to factor
out the colour material side of things, but this would break
compatibility so it'd be something we need to be careful about.