On 26. jan. 2007, at 16:01, Robert Osfield wrote:
Hi Ole-Morten,
On 1/26/07, Ole-Morten Duesund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Robert Osfield wrote:
> Hi Ole-Morten,
>
> I have done quite a bit of work with multiple ImageStreams working on > screen at once, both under Windows with the xine-lib based reader and > under OSX with the Quicktime plugin. I haven't seen major artificats
> like you describe, but then I haven't tried to use ATI hardware &
> linux drivers...
Hmm, this would seem to point an ugly finger at ATI and the fglrx
drivers then.
Didn't realize that xine even existed for windows. But xine is GPL
right? (Reading license... Yep.) So I can't use it anyway.

Oops mind is a bit leaking bits.  I meant to write Linux and OSX, I
haven't tried the xine-lib or Quicktime plugins under Windows, the
Quicktime plugin has now been ported to Windows though, but that's an
aside.

W.r.t Xine's GPL, to be nice safe about licensing if have have a none
GPL'd app then it'd be safer not to use the Xine plugin.

However, the GPL like all copyright doesn't cover usage, just copying.
If you app doesn't directly link then the xine-lib plugin then you
arn't ever copying it, you are simply loaded it on demand and using
it.  The GPL even has a clause saying it doesn't cover usage.  As long
as you distribute the plugin as GPL then you are still complying with
the GPL rules.

Technically I guess you're right. But I'm quite sure a lot of people would disagree. The way xine-lib is used is "just" a different way of doing "c++ .... -lxine" which would place everything under GPL.

The big but with this while I believe is legal it is against the
spirit in which many interpret the GPL, so if the original authors
wrote the software under the GPL assuming that no commercial app could
use it then while you might not be doing anything illegal the original
authors might feel like you are ripping them off.  Open source is
about collaboration, so this is no small aspect to consider.

My interpretation of GPL is more in ^-- this direction. And while I personally wouldn't have any problem with GPL licensing, I doubt my employer would appreciate it. I will however put as much back in to osg as I can. Hopefully that'll be a complete ffmpeg-plugin or a gstreamer-plugin - as a start.

> Have you tried other hardware beyond the ATI+linux you report?
Nope, unfortunately I don't have anything else available.

> Do you plan to publish your ffmpeg plugin as open source?  If so
> others can try it out and report success failure.
One way or another. Might take some time though. I'm also considering a
gstreamer based solution. If gstreamer can take away the headache that
is ffpmeg ...

I looked at both ffpmeg, gstreamer, vlc and xine-lib for movie support
and ended going with xine-lib as the line of least resistance.  I
spend alot of hours investigating the options, but this was quite a
while back, perhaps some of the other options are now stronger.

I use both vlc and gstreamer on both my mac and my linux machines, but vlc is GPL which doesn't work (for me and for now at least). Gstreamer does look nice and flexible, but I've just started looking at the dev-stuff. One thing is for sure, ffmpeg is _not_ the path of least resistance. It's very nice when it comes to decoding/encoding stuff. But there's no direct support for playback. (At least none that I've found.)

- OM