Hi Eric,

On 2/8/07, E. Wing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Unfortunately, "being practical about things" isn't our right.
Copyright is to protect the creators of works, not the users (and keep
lawyers employed).

I think you miss my point.  If you have a wide and collection of
"copyright" owners that you can't trace you loose the ability to
protect anybodies copyright.  To enforce the copyright you have to go
to court, to go to court you need to coordinate all the copyright
owners.  What happens if you can't trace someone?  What happens if
someone objects to taking action?  If you can't enforce copyright then
its all the creators of the work that effectively loose their rights.

Copyright assignment to leads or a body overseeing a project seems
like a good default position to take to avoid the proliferation of
minor copyright owners as if it action had to take then coordinate
action would be much easier.  If you can't act then your can't protect
the body of work.  If contributors want to not retain copyright then
it should be the case that they also take responsibility for that
work, and are traceable till the copyright expires, which is a very
very long time.