From: André Garneau [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: February-15-07 12:28 AM
To: 'osg users'
Subject: RE: [osg-users] Please test CVS version of OpenSceneGraph

Hi Robert,

>> Once you have an updated version it'll be interesting to see how
>> things are going.  I will at least closed off some avenues for
>> failure.

>> It might be worth forcing osgViewer::Viewer down on to using just
>> SingleThreaded.  Setting OSG_THREADING to SingleThreaded should be
>> sufficient.  Stephan has tested this under OSX and its working, and it
>> works just fine here under Linux so my guess is that it'll work under
>> Windows too as the getenv and stmcmp functions used are all cross
>> platform.

>> If things don't work in SingleThreaded and its confirmed to be running
>> SingleThreaded then we certainly can discount chasing after threading
>> issues.

>> It would be useful if other Windows developers could provide some
>> feedback on what works and what doesn't.

I did some testing yesterday evening on Windows and here are my results:

{ Platform: Athlon X2 4200+, 2GB RAM, Windows XP latest patches, NVIDIA
GF7900GT & low-end NVIDIA 6150, 3 screens }

Running runexamples.bat for each threading model

Single-Threaded
===============

osgimpostor (extremely slow)
osgplanets (corrupted image on center & right screens - left screen OK) -
will double check my setup

all other examples perform well

CullDrawThreadPerContext
========================

osgprecipitations (slow)

crashes for:

osgdistortion
osgdepthshadow
osgimpostor
osgprerender
osgprerendercubemap
osgshadowtexture
osgsimulation

DrawThreadPerContext
====================

osgprecipitations (slow)

update processing seems to be out-of-sync
(very fast movements when mouse is used)

No smoke/fire effects visible for:
(probably due to issue above)

osgblendequation
osgmultitexture

crashes for:

osgdistortion
osgdepthshadow
osgimpostor
osgprerender
osgprerendercubemap
osgshadowtexture
osgsimulation
osgpick
osgspheresegment

CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext
=======================================

osgprecipitations (slow)

update processing normal but performance generally sluggish on all examples

crashes for:

osgdistortion
osgdepthshadow
osgimpostor
osgprerender
osgprerendercubemap
osgshadowtexture
osgsimulation
osgpick
osgfxbrowser

I will try to look at some of these issues this evening.

André