Looks like our main competition is having a hard time. See thread below from
vis-sim.com

  Joined: 19 Mar 2007

Pixelpusher you are relying on MPI tools because you are probably forced to.
Wouldnt you pick other tools if it were up to you ? Besides what do you
disagree with that I have said or Urban Legend has said in his post about MPI
becoming a bit player and not being able to pay the big bill that is coming due
soon and their awful business practices and arrogant management ?

Back to top

UrbanLegend
User

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Location: USA / UK

NO I did not say that MPI could not pay YOU said that I said it would be due
soon.

And as MPI made a healthy profit in 2006 I don't think they are in any
immediate danger
_________________
"Self defence is not a function of learning tricks but is a function of
how quickly and intensely one can arouse one's instinct for survival"
- Master Tambo Tetsura

Back to top

sim_guy_uk
User

Joined: 19 Mar 2007

UrbanLegend
User

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Location: USA / UK

Lot of changes this year. Engenuity buying out Acusoft. MAk purchased by
Singapore training, E & S bought by Rockwell, Parallax buying MPI. Wonder what
2007 is going to bring. Looks like E & S is doing pretty well under Rockwell.
Speaking of MPI, the jungle drums inside MPI say that it was a pretty terrible
year financially. Customers have sneered at the new products. That would mean
more layoffs at MPI in January. The drums also say that Parallax is going to
fire the CEO after the first of the year and talking to Stephen Gersuk about
running the company. These are interesting times.

Back to top

UrbanLegend
User

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Location: USA / UK

Interesting view point,

Stephen is one of the brightess and most intelligent person in the Vis-sim
world , he must really be laughing out loud,

I highly doubt that he would touch MPI with a barge pole apart, maybe to wave
good bye...
_________________
"Self defence is not a function of learning tricks but is a function of
how quickly and intensely one can arouse one's instinct for survival"
- Master Tambo Tetsura

Back to top

simsim
Guest

i worked at MPI at that time. My understanding was that Stephen was a victim of
devious underhanded scheming by the present CEO and was forced out. He was
stabbed in the back by him. What a shame and what a loss to MPI. I left soon
after since I did not agree with the lack of ethics of the management at MPI.

Back to top

simsim
Guest

You have a lot of experience in this industry UL, how long do you think MPI
will survive ?

Back to top

UrbanLegend
User

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Location: USA / UK

How long is a piece of string ?

I don't see a growth market for MPI , they can probably survive in the
shrinking market as bit player, with some enormous new players in Modeling,
survices and API market.

We will see some very interesting changes in the 2007-8 with some interesting
and exciting productsand services coming to market from some very big companies

I'm under NDA but can say that these companies have Billions in turn over and
are spending like 20x MPI's turnover just in dev for tools that will impact the
vis-sim market, this will effect most of the smaller vis-sim companies like MPI
as they will eat in to a market that is quickly running away from the old
traditional 6 years to build a sim that is 10 years out of date

Theres a whole slue of automatic feature extraction and automatic terrain
generation and feature creation tools coming that will shrink the markets for
products like Creator, CTS, Geo etc.. What I have seem behind closed doors make
me glad I'm no longer in such a small company like MPI

Will MPI survive long term not without a lot of change IMO, they need some one
at the top the commands repect work force and industry

Also lets not for get Parallax have to actually CA for MPI soon as well.
_________________
"Self defence is not a function of learning tricks but is a function of
how quickly and intensely one can arouse one's instinct for survival"
- Master Tambo Tetsura

Last edited by UrbanLegend on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top

simsim
Guest

thats a great analysis of the situation. I agree with you UL. Unless there are
major changes at MPI, they are done for. The folks there should be sending out
their resumes. Although given MPI's reputation for shoddy products and support,
it would be difficult for them to find employment elsewhere.

Back to top

UrbanLegend
User

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Location: USA / UK

I cannot agree that MPI have shoddy products.

Creator is still a good product just way too darn expensive and its dev team
size od nothing keeps it laggin in certain areas.

Vega Prime has a lot good stuff, from folks in the sensor team and Antons work
on virtual texture but Vega Prime it has problems in areas sadly one of those
is QA, but then again MPI fired all the QA people and now have engineers QA'ing
there own code thats never good thing
_________________
"Self defence is not a function of learning tricks but is a function of
how quickly and intensely one can arouse one's instinct for survival"
- Master Tambo Tetsura

Back to top

Guest

The funniest thing I heard about MPI part from the glorious leader, is certain
people are seriously trying tout Open flight as an the interchange format,
which shows how out of touch with the real world some people.

10 years ago Open flight was the defacto model format but not any more that
died a long time ago and to tout it as interchange format is just ridiculous ,
actually is rather pathetic and sad. Open flight is dead its kept alive by
legacy user most users are far removed from bloat, clunky, proprietary binary
format.

The Interchange formats that are streats ahead are KML, CityGML, GML

Back to top

slideshow
Guest

Careful don't forget MPIs fearless leader showed a slide at SIGGRAPH once

Back to top

Guest

But didn't that slide simply say "Taxi for Mr Johnson"

Plenty of his kind at Heathrow arrivals. Thats all they are good for

Back to top

BobtheBuilder
User

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Location: Canada

Dude,

The needle is stuck... I keep hearing the same bad track over and over when I
thought I was supposed to be listening to the patent thread.
_________________
BtB

All posts made are my personal opinion and should not be considered a
reflection of those of any other person or company.

Back to top

sim_guy_uk
User

Joined: 19 Mar 2007

Its not a broken record. This is from Google's cache of this forum. Why would
Urban Legend now deny things he said before. He dislikes Marco, Brockway and
Divaker. He doesnt like marco beacuse they couldnt work well together, brockway
killed CTS and divaker is a paki

Back to top

Lars
User

Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Location: I am, like, in Khaliphornia!

Oh that is good, make your point with a racial slur. Now you really have
credibility.

So where exactly did you work?

Back to top

sim_guy_uk
User

Joined: 19 Mar 2007

Just repeating what Urban Legend said over a beer at the Flying Saucer. In vino
veritas

Back to top

Lars
User

Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Location: I am, like, in Khaliphornia!

Yeah but there is such a thing as a private opinion and confidential speech.

Posting racial slurs and hateful post on a public forum is entirely different!
I think that subtle nuance of civilized discourse has been lost on you.

As I have stated plenty times before, if you have to voice a criticism, do so
in an acceptable manner. I will be happy to follow up on lapsed or missed
support calls as well as help with communicating any suggestions you may have.
I am no stranger to communicating critical statements to the product teams.
Most of which have resulted in improvements of the product or process in some
way.

Back to top

sim_guy_uk
User

Joined: 19 Mar 2007

i only saying what many others would lik to say out loud but are afraid to. MPI
tools may not be so bad but the people in charge are evil