Hi Christophe,
I tried running osgdem with the data you provided in the first mail with
the command,
"./osgdem --bluemarble-east -d land_shallow_topo_east_bump.tif --
bluemarble-east  -t land_shallow_topo_east.tif --geocentric -l 3 -v 1000
-o t.ive -a temp.osga "

And i am able to see the elevation but for that you have to zoom in
towards the land where there are height fields(mountains). Try putting
100000 instead of 1000 and you will see the difference. I am attaching
an image with this mail to show you the results i am getting.

You are not able to visualize the elevation properly because the dem
data you are using has very low resolution. If you can get dem data
with resolution less than 30m, you will be able to produce good terrain.
To make sure osgdem is working fine just put 100000 and vertical scale
and see the results.

best regards
RJ