On 5/18/07, Paul Martz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Just to clarify, Robert sent me an offline email stating that he wanted to
get 2.0 out the door, and wanted to know what my schedule was for the next
revision of the Quick Start Guide. I suggested June 7 as an availability
date. So, although Robert's post that started this thread seems to imply
that OSG is going out to match the QSG release, I honestly got the
impression in our offline discussion that Robert felt OSG was ready for 2.0,
and he just wanted to know my schedule so we could sync up.

I feel the bulk of the OSG is ready for 2.0, and the opportunity of
getting it out in time for the QSG to go out to something worth going
for as its simplify the lives of those coming to the OSG for the first
time.

Consider what like is like for new users of the OSG, them come across
1.2, then download it, they have to get their head around a triple set
that couples the OSG with two tightly bound dependencies, and a bunch
of normal dependencies.  If this extra complexity doesn't put them off
them off then they join the commmunity and start trying to write apps,
and soon find out that actually they might be better server by things
in the dev releases, and that things they learnt about 1.2 like
osgProducer no longer map to the latest dev release, so they have to
go off an learn new stuff and discard some of what they have already
worked hard to get their head around.   The upshot is we have new
users wasting precious time and brain power on stuff they needn't.
So from a new users perspective I have absolutely no qualms about make
2.0 sooner rather than later, and done so in conjunction with a book
that talks specifically about it.

From an existing users perspective, the core OSG libraries - osg,
osgUtil, osgDB, osgText, osgSim, osgFX, osgParticle are all in the
best state they have ever been in, they are better than 1.2, your apps
will be more robust by moving to what we have in SVN right now.  The
same goes for the plugins they are all ready, save for the possibility
of an update from Terrex which in theory is in the works, but hasn't
turned up yet.  osgProducer, while now a separate project, is also
pretty stable (very few changes have been required since 1.2) and
ready for its 2.0 in conjunction with OSG-1.2, the same goes for the
VirtualPlanetBuilder.

This leaves osgViewer, osgShadow, osgTerrain and the build system as
the main areas of concern w.r.t readiness for 2.0.  osgShadow and
osgTerrain are still in development, and while usable in parts are
where I want them to be, and won't be stablised in the time frame for
2.0.  While this isn't ideal, if we wait for these then it'll be
several months before 2.0 can go out.  Since these are new libraries
them not being perfect won't affect existing users, as long as they
build and keep themselves to themselves I can't see a big issue.

osgViewer for the most part is pretty near to state ready for 2.0,
there are a couple of missing features relative to
osgProducer/Producer - Pbuffers and config file support, for the
majority of new and existing users this won't be a show stopper.  For
those its a show stopper there is still osgProducer working happily in
the background.  There are a few loose ends in osgViewer like the
close problem under Windows, but things like this should be solvable
with a bit of debugging.

Overall I find osgViewer to be far more functional, scalable and
stable than osgProducer - when I used to run my standard tests of the
OSG examples (using the runexamples.bat) the osgProducer based
examples occassionally used to crash, such that I was lucky if I got
through all examples without a crash on exit.  I spent many many
hours/days trying to fix this Producer bug, but never was able to
resolve it.  Whereas osgViewer based examples run and exit cleanly all
the time, not getting to the end of the tests is never an issue now
(at least under Linux where I test ;-)  To me osgViewer is ready to be
used by the majority of OSG end users.

Finally this brings us to the build system, mostly the feedback of the
CMake build system is positive, in particular on the two biggest
platforms Windows and Linux things work pretty cleanly, as they do on
rest of the unices.  There are some unresolved issues under IRIX
w.r.t. n32 + n64, it'd be great to resolve these, but I'm a CMake or
IRIX guru to be able to help - so we need members of the community to
get stuck in.  There is also OpenGL header issues under Cygwin.  The
next question are these build problems under minor platforms show
stoppers?  Personally I'd say no, as if you are on one of these niche
platforms there is a good chance that you have skills to cope with
using SVN or dev releases.  We can always follow up with 2.0.1 once
such issues are resolved - if they aren't resolved before 2.0.

In a ideal world everything will be perfected, all functionality
complete and in its final form, and throughly tested and working on
all platforms, but... being a perfectionist can cause the project more
harm than good.  For me the critical indicator is the current SVN/dev
releases of higher quality and easier to build and use than 1.2 for
the vast majority of users, if its is,  then we are better off make
2.0 soon, and for the sake of new an old users alike.

What I'm interested in specific issues that "MUST" be resolved before
a 2.0 can go out, what are the absolute show stoppers.  Secondly what
else "Should" be completed to make 2.0 a good and well rounded
release.  Finally what "could" be done in the time frame if users have
completed all the MUST and Should's, and still have time on their
hands, and that won't adversely risk the quality of the final release.
If you can think of any them add them to the below page, or post them
on this thread,

DevelopmentWork TODO list for 2.0
http://www.openscenegraph.com/osgwiki/pmwiki.php/Tasks/DevelopmentWork