Robert,

Robert Osfield wrote:

As another little point of axis with logos.  When you get a T-Shirt
printed its generally best to keep the number of colours down.  This
also works from a visual stand point too.

Perhaps it would be of interest to get an overview of restrictions for this whole logo business. The original post by Martin had hardly anything more than the link to the first design and a request for opinions on the logo.
Things got going from there with lots of variations.

W.r.t colour selection, we have the blue, red and green which have
been the long time, as is the earth, these hue of the colours can be
tweaked but the basic colours are best kept as the theme unless these
is really good reason to change.

This continuity also needs to apply to the general logo, we already
have a recongisable logo, we need to smarten it up, but need to keep
ground in the theme of the original.

As you seem to have a picture in your head of what you want out of a new logo it might be a good idea to pick the most favorable candidate at this point and do some final tweaks on it. If you think it's gone far enough it's time to end this thread, lest people waste their time on being creative.

Paul