Dear Dr Albrecht -

  this is the first time I have heard of this issue..  we are building the newer, alpha1 version 17 now using a newer QGIS LTS. Due to this combination of factors, your email raises more questions

* how is it that you have never reached out before today?  no one on the #osgeolive team can know all the places that the disk is used. If I understand, this condition of one particular QGIS misplacing a shp file would have been the case on the day that version 16 was released?  therefore you have taught many times yet never one email here. Why now, on the week that we start the anticipated alpha1 version 17 based on Ubuntu noble and GDAL v3.9x.

* did you take any steps to identify what projection system is being used to misplace this shp file?  for example, does it say in the bottom corner of the window of QGIS ?  do you have any guesses as to what the errant projection might be, and if so did you include that in your description of this bug, below?  maybe I missed a section..

* did you try to install and run any other version of QGIS on this version 16 base, in any way?  I am not a QGIS expert but I am guessing there are several alternatives that would install something.

   today I am busy running and testing a build of #osgeolive 17, which promises improvements and stability.. as with the dozen or so #osgeolive linux that have shipped reliably, without cost to you, for the last decade.

   --Brian M Hamlin    /  MAPLABS  /  OSGeoLive PSC