I am currently helping at openzipkin to make it fully OSGi ready. At one of the projects we came up with a problem that is of some general relevance.

In the project brave-core there is a package com.github.kristofa.brave.internal. It contains several classes that are used inside other brave modules but should not be used by users. It started with an annotation that we were able to limit to source retention .. but there are also normal classes that will require package visibility.

See:
https://github.com/openzipkin/brave/issues/268

I know several possible solutions:

 * Export the package but document in the classes that they are brave
   internal. This solution has the advantage that it is easiest to
   configure
 * Shade the package into each brave module in different package. So
   the classes become internally embedded into each module. This
   approach requires quite a bit of tuning in each module and is
   sensitive to changes in the code.
 * Use mandatory attributes like recommended by Neil. I will scope how
   I would do this below. The disadvantage here seems to be that we
   need a manually tuned Import-Package statement in each module that
   imports the package.

How to use a mandatory attribute for the project public package:

In brave-core:

Export-Package: com.github.kristofa.brave.internal;brave=true;mandatory=brave

In brave modules:

Import-Package: com.github.kristofa.brave.internal;brave=true

So this would make the package visible to other brave modules but would make sure users do not accidently use the package. Of course users could still import the package like above if they intend to break things.

So I personally would go with the first option to just document that the package and the classes are for internal use. The main reason for me is to minimize the configuration effort inside brave. The problem is that brave and zipkin maintainers do not use OSGi themselves. So the more complicated we make the configuration the more likely it is to break over time.

So what strategy would you recommend for this problem? Are there ways to make the other options easy to maintain too?

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de