[Excerpt: "If the recall is because of this false charge about an
assassination attempt on the Crown Prince, this has been denied and proven to
be
incorrect...."Enough time has passed over this issue. Why wasn't the ambassador

withdrawn at that time?".....Calling on Saudi Arabia to explain its action,
Chaouch said Libya would raise the issue with Arab League Secretary-General Amr

Mousa.]

_http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/WorldNF.asp?ArticleID=145021_
(http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/WorldNF.asp?ArticleID=145021)
Published: 24/12/2004, 08:58 (UAE)

US puts normalisation of  Libya ties on hold

Agencies
Washington/Cairo: Allegations of  Libya's involvement in a plot to
assassinate Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince have  put a brake on US efforts to
improve ties
with the supposedly reformed state, US  officials said Wednesday.

"I would say that the reports and the information have already impacted the
speed at which we can move forward with Libya and will continue to until it's
cleared up," said State Department spokesman Richard Boucher.

He made his remarks after Saudi Arabia said it had recalled its ambassador
from Libya and would expel the Libyan envoy in Riyadh over Tripoli's alleged
role in a plot to assassinate Crown Prince Abdullah Bin Abdul Aziz last  year.

Libya had become a posterchild for US claims of success against global
terrorism after it agreed to a settlement in the 1988 bombing of a Pan Am
jetliner
and renounced weapons of mass destruction last year.

But Boucher said the assassination plot, first reported in June, "is an
issue that we have taken seriously" and have raised repeatedly with the
government of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

"The Libyans provided us with some explanation, not sufficient for us or  any
others to reach a definitive judgment on the matter at this point," he  said.

The spokesman said that Washington was still studying whether to take Libya
off the US list of terrorism sponsors, although Tripoli had taken "significant
 steps" to renounce its past support for political violence.

"We have also made clear that we need to see this pledge to avoid the use  of
violence for political ends sustained, carried out, and effectively.

"And so that [the assassination report] is a matter that continues to
impinge upon the decision," he said.

Libya meanwhile said it was surprised Saudi Arabia had recalled its
ambassador to Tripoli and insisted there was no plot to assassinate Crown
Prince
Abdullah.

"(We are) surprised that ... Saudi Arabia has decided to withdraw its
ambassador from its brother Libya," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hassouna Chaouch

told Al Jazeera TV.

"If the recall is because of this false charge about an assassination
attempt on the Crown Prince, this has been denied and proven to be  incorrect.

"Enough time has passed over this issue. Why wasn't the ambassador  withdrawn
at that time?"

Calling on Saudi Arabia to explain its action, Chaouch said Libya would
raise the issue with Arab League Secretary-General Amr Mousa.

The league on its part said yesterday it was holding intensive contacts to
defuse the crisis.

Mousa said he had been in contact with the foreign ministers of Saudi  Arabia
and Libya, Prince Saud Al Faisal and Abdul Rahman Shalgham.

"We will continue our contacts. The issue is not open to public discussion
and we are dealing with it with the aim of containing the situation and not
worsening it," Mousa told reporters.
enditem
UNRESTRICTED

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/TySplB/TM