http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/news/ci_2496864

It's too quiet out there, counterterrorism experts say

By Curt Anderson, Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The threat of a terrorist attack on the United States still
exists, but

counterterrorism officials say there is a conspicuous lack of intelligence
"chatter" being picked

up.

It's a stark contrast to last year's holiday season, when there was chatter
indicating a plot could

be in the works. The nation was under heightened alert and a number of
foreign flights to America

were canceled because of specific threats.

U.S. and foreign intelligence and law enforcement services report a
continuing stream of vague,

lower-level threats from al-Qaida and other Islamic extremist groups against
American interests at

home and abroad. But officials say nothing specific and credible has emerged
in recent months that

would require the government to raise the risk level above yellow, or
"elevated," the midpoint on

the five-level threat scale.

"It's a little bit like a duck on a pond. You've got a lot going on under
the surface but you don't

have any big waves," FBI counterterrorism and counterintelligence chief Gary
Bald said in an

interview Thursday.

Just before Christmas last year, the threat level was raised to orange, or
"high," and flights to

the United States from Paris, London, Scotland and elsewhere were canceled
over several days. The

FBI, Homeland Security Department and other agencies scrambled to check
names booked on those

flights for possible al-Qaida operatives either trying to get into the
United States or to target

the flights themselves.

In those cases, U.S. and European officials were acting on
difficult-to-obtain intelligence singling

out specific flights of concern. But even then,   no arrests were announced
and it was unclear if

any plots were thwarted.

Nothing like that has surfaced this year, despite a general concern that
terrorists might try to

disrupt the holidays or take advantage of hectic travel times to mount an
attack.

"We have no information about specific plots as we enter the holiday
season," Homeland Security

Department spokesman Brian Roehrkasse said.

Still, officials and outside experts say the relative calm and lack of an
al-Qaida attack on the

U.S. homeland since Sept. 11, 2001, should not be viewed as evidence of
decisive victory over

terrorists. Al-Qaida is known to plan attacks patiently and could have
operatives already in the

United States primed for a long-awaited signal.

"When we're in a state of high alert, that's when things are not going to
happen," said Michael

Greenberger, director of the University of Maryland's Center for Health and
Homeland Security. "It's

when we're not looking, when we're overconfident, that something will
happen."

The FBI, CIA and other agencies have carefully analyzed audio and video
communications from al-Qaida

leader Osama bin Laden for clues about plots or timing. Although bin Laden's
most recent statement

focused on attacking foreign targets in Saudi Arabia, American officials
aren't letting down their

guard.

"I think it would be incredibly naive for us to think that someone won't try
another attack," Bald

said.

With a week left in the year, the war on terrorism domestically in 2004 was
most remarkable for what

did not happen.

After the threat involving foreign flights   abated in January, officials
grew increasingly

concerned about a possible plot to disrupt the U.S. elections, but nothing
occurred. The terror

threat level was raised for specific financial institutions in New York, New
Jersey and Washington

after discovery overseas of detailed - albeit mainly old - surveillance of
key buildings. That

threat level was lowered last month after no incidents occurred.

Looking ahead, officials are planning exceptionally heavy security for the
Jan. 20 inauguration of

President Bush. Security also will be tight for major college bowl games and
the Feb. 6 Super Bowl

in Jacksonville, Fla.

There are currently no specific, credible threats of terror plots against
any of those events.

Despite the post-Sept. 11 advances in intelligence gathering and information
sharing,   officials

acknowledge the silence could simply mean that the government isn't looking
in the right places.

"It's not so much what we know, but what we don't know," Bald said. "The
threat could still be there

but it just hasn't surfaced in intelligence channels."

---

On the Net:

FBI: http://www.fbi.gov

Homeland Security Department: http://www.dhs.gov