<http://www.townhall.com/columnists/tonyblankley/printtb20041229.shtml>

Townhall.com

Americans pass gut check
Tony Blankley (back to web version) | Send

December 29, 2004

Osama Bin Laden is getting positively chatty these days. He has released
his third video in as many months -- this time calling for Iraqis to
boycott next month's elections. This shouldn't come as much of a surprise.
Having elected himself to his current lofty position as arbiter of all
things on the planet, it would have been remarkable if he thought any more
elections were necessary.

  Although, to be fair to him (not that he deserves fairness), in his
previous video, the week before our election, he did warn American voters
in the red states that they would pay a terrible price if they voted for
George Bush. While he didn't explicitly endorse John Kerry (presumably,
even he couldn't figure out what Kerry's position was on anything), his
negative advertisement against Bush might reasonably have been seen as
participation in a democratic election.

  But overall, I think we can put Mr. Laden down as viewing elections as
unnecessary. As Emma Goldberg scornfully, if cleverly, observed prior to
being deported as a dangerous foreign national to Russia during WWI --
elections are the opiate of the American people. For tyrants and their
advocates, elections are silly, meaningless exercises of decisions between
pre-chosen indistinguishable choices, intended to give the manipulated
masses the illusion of free will in their choreographed political lives.

  Tell that to the Democrats ... and the Republicans ... and the Europeans
... and the terrorists. As I prepare to go out and celebrate New Year 2005
-- I plan to celebrate the majestic and history-making election of 2004.

  Our recent election joins the select ranks of epochal American
presidential elections alongside: 1792, 1860, 1932 and 1980. In 1792,
George Washington voluntarily stepped aside and ushered in true
constitutional republicanism (or, as it is casually called, democracy). In
1860, Lincoln was elected, and he ensured the Republic while ending
slavery. The year 1932 entered America into the modern age and, for better
and worse, ended the limited role for government in our lives. The FDR era
ended in 1980, and it started us on our current uncertain path back to our
abiding first principles and values.

  As the first presidential election in the post-Sept. 11 Age of Terrorism,
George Bush's re-election this year should be seen as equally significant.
It is, of course, far too early to judge whether his anti-terrorism
strategy and tactics will turn out to be effective in protecting America
(and the world) from the scourge of global terror.

  What makes this an epochal election is what it says about the American
public. After Nov. 2, the world now knows that Americans intend to stand
and fight. So far, America's public is the only one that has so indicated.
Others may, perhaps, make such a stand in the future. But, as of now, every
poll of every other country shows their publics looking for excuses to
avoid confronting terrorism.

  The flow of events since major hostilities were completed in Iraq in the
spring of 2003 make the public support for George Bush all the more
impressive. The news had been remorselessly bad for Mr. Bush: from the
alleged ransacking of the Baghdad museums, to the rise of the insurrection,
to the report by Dr. Kay that there were no WMDs in Iraq, to the prison
scandal (and its willful over-reporting by the media), to the beheadings,
to the growing effectiveness and lethality of the Iraqi bombings, to the
growing number of American fatalities, amputations and other serious
casualties -- the news has been much worse than was generally expected.
(Although, in this space, I warned before the war, which I supported and
continue to support, that we were entering a time of "measureless peril.")

  Moreover, further threatening the president's re-election was the public
judgment (by almost 60 percent to 40 percent) that the economy was not
producing enough jobs and the country was going in the wrong direction.
Hollywood, Manhattan publishing, network television and the mainline media
then willfully distorted the news while it sneered at and mocked the
president. No president since Richard Nixon in his final presidential
months has taken such a consistently bad press. And yet, he won by a
decisive three million votes -- in a nation that almost every political
expert had been calling a 50 percent Republican 50 percent Democratic
public.

  The American public had every excuse to cut and run. Had they elected
Kerry, the world would have correctly judged it a repudiation of Bush's
aggressive war strategy. But the American public stuck. And in so doing
they have created a world historic event.

  In the face of an insurgent, violent, radical Islam, a solid majority of
the American public does not intend to yield an inch. In a storm-tossed
sea, the American public is a rock. It is more than a rock. It is the rock
on which civilization will make its stand. Americans are standing upright,
their strong arms uplifted against the barbarians.

 ©2004 Creators Sy
--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/TySplB/TM