<http://www.townhall.com/columnists/jonahgoldberg/printjg20041229.shtml>

Townhall.com

Kofi's stingy uncle
Jonah Goldberg (back to web version) | Send

December 29, 2004

As of this writing the death toll in Asia from the killer tsunami exceeds
50,000. Almost immediately, the United States put together an aid package
of $15 million, with assurances that more will be on the way. We also
dispatched emergency relief teams and Navy patrols both to help with the
aftermath and to assess what more we can do. "We also have to see this not
just as a one-time thing," Colin Powell said. America is in the
reconstruction effort "for the long haul."

This commitment, however, was not generous enough for Jan Egeland, the
Norwegian bureaucrat who heads up relief efforts for the United Nations.
"It is beyond me why are we so stingy, really," Egeland told reporters,
according to Bill Sammon of the Washington Times. (We'll let the "we" pass
unmolested.)

American and European politicians, Egeland complained, "believe that they
are really burdening the taxpayers too much, and the taxpayers want to give
less. It's not true. They want to give more."

Egeland quickly backtracked when he realized his comments were only
slightly less impolitic than slapping Colin Powell with a flounder. Still,
his candor is revealing.

First, let's be fair. Egeland's right to be frustrated. His job is to help
untold numbers of poor people in a terrible situation where no amount of
aid or effort could ever make them whole. How much money does it take to
compensate a father whose child was snatched away by an angry sea on a
clear and sunny day?

But it is one thing to say the victims need more help, and another thing
entirely to suggest that Sri Lankans and Indonesians are suffering from the
stinginess of Americans or U.S. tax policy.

Let's review the obvious: The United Nations is an odious institution.
Whenever I make this commonsense observation, I am invariably rebutted with
questions like, "What about the starving people it feeds?" or "What about
the peacekeeping?"

OK, what about them?

The United States supplies more than one-fifth of the United Nations' total
budget (and 57 percent, 33 percent and 27 percent of the budgets for the
World Food Program, the Refugee Agency, and Department of Peacekeeping
Operations, respectively). We've been the United Nations' biggest donor
every year since 1945. Taxpayers reluctantly agree to such largess because
we're told of the good works the United Nations does. And yet, whenever
there's a catastrophe, Uncle Sam is asked to dig deep into his pocket for
more money.

This is the global equivalent of when the Interior Department closes down
the Washington Monument whenever it faces budget cuts of a few percentage
points. Nobody wants the Monument to be closed down, so the bureaucrats
make it the department's most vulnerable expenditure.

Nobody objects when the United Nations helps victims of natural disasters,
so U.N. defenders always use disaster relief and peacekeeping as their
chief tool for fundraising. The problem is that the United Nations is not
an impartial philanthropic organization. It is a political institution
where a broad coalition of nations hope to curtail the power and influence
of the United States. France uses the organization to leverage its
relatively meager power by rallying African and Arab nations against us.
Kofi Annan uses his megaphone to decry the moral and legal legitimacy of
American foreign policy. Its Human Rights Committee is festooned with
torture states, but it seems capable of issuing only condemnations
inconvenient to the United States. And we foot the bill.

This is the Catch-22 of the United Nations. Politically, it's often
reprehensible and inimical to American interests. But we're never asked to
pay for that stuff. This comes out of the general budget. It's only when
human beings are suffering in vast numbers that we're shamed for being
"stingy" - because the United Nations understands how to exploit America's
decency. If only we could be shaken down for more money to pay the light
bill in the General Assembly when they play whack-a-mole with the United
States.

The larger picture Mr. Egeland fails to appreciate is that America's wealth
and prosperity - partly sustained by low taxes - is a greater bulwark
against human suffering than the United Nations ever has been or likely
will be. America guarantees global stability by keeping the sea lanes open,
by preventing North Korea from invading South Korea and China from seizing
Taiwan. We did it by preventing Saddam from keeping Kuwait. We ignored the
United Nations and intervened to stop genocide in Yugoslavia, and we have
150,000 troops in Iraq working to create a democracy - while the United
Nations is still too scared of terrorists, and too anti-American, to help.

Meanwhile, American citizens, partly thanks to those stingy low taxes, send
some $34 billion in private aid around the world every year. That's 10
times the United Nations total budget. America's Christian ministries,
private foundations and agencies all do far more in direct charity and aid
than the United Nations. But bureaucrats - some who've grown fat on
oil-for-food money - measure stinginess in terms of support to the
bureaucracy, not to the constituency the bureaucracy was intended to help.

It is our prosperity that drives global development, our courage and
goodwill that keeps the peace, and our example that shines the path to
liberty, not "blue papers" from Turtle Bay.

Jonah Goldberg is editor-at-large of National Review Online, a Townhall.com
member group.

©2004 Tribune Media Se
--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/TySplB/TM