http://www.usbc.org/info/2004/nov/terrorists.htm

Border Patrol agent confirms illegal entry of terrorists through border with
Mexico
November 9, 2004

Though local government officials and immigration advocates have questioned
the validity of an August television report warning of terrorists entering
the U.S. through the Mexican border, a Border Patrol agent has confirmed the
report, stating it "was 100% accurate. It showed what's happening on the
border on a daily basis. It was completely accurate,'
The Border Patrol agent related his concerns about homeland security along
the Arizona/Mexico border, He said that hundreds of illegal entrants sneak
into Arizona from Mexico every day, and that items left behind, such as a
Muslim prayer rug and a diary written in Arabic have led some to believe not
all crossers are from Central and South America.
The agent says illegals from terrorist-related countries have crossed the
border. He describing one incident with a crosser apprehended near Naco,
Arizona. 'So they took him back to the Naco station for further
investigating there, and when they entered his fingerprints into the AFIS
database, which is maintained by the FBI, several minutes later they
received a phone call saying, they need to separate that gentleman right
away. He was later determined to be from Pakistan. And he had affiliations
with a terrorist group. It wasn't al-Qaida, but it was another terrorist
group and this gentleman was wanted in France for trafficking in heroin.'
In another incident.just a few months ago:
'We received intelligence that seven males of Middle-Eastern descent had
entered the United States illegally, and they were here to carry out a
terrorist attack on this country. I'd never seen the agency go to the level
that we did as far as treating it with such urgency.' .'and when we got that
information we immediately sent agents to patrol the highways. We had never
done anything like that before. And like I said before, within a week, there
I am, watching the nightly news, and the terror threat was raised, and they
actually showed pictures of these seven men who had reportedly entered the
country. And that's when it kinda really hit me for the first time that it's
really happening.'
The agent said he's been told that other terrorists are, perhaps, lying in
wait south of the border. 'We know it's happening. We've seen it. We've
actually received hard intelligence that they're there in Mexico. It's just
a matter of trying to keep them from coming north.'
This agent says, if terrorists want to cross, it's become too easy for them
because of a severe lack of manpower in the Border Patrol. 'And there's just
complete areas of fence that are missing, roads that lead north,
well-traveled. I mean, you can tell the tire sign. A vehicle was there
within the last day or two. Where they're going, who knows. And the worst
part is what are they carrying. I would like to think it's just marijuana,
because we can deal with that, but what if it's not?'
He says resources are desperately lacking and are keeping agents from
adequately protecting our border with Mexico:
'Over 50% of our vehicles at that station are out of service, or deferred
for maintenance. If our cameras worked, which I would say well over 50% of
them do not work at night, the infrared lenses are not functioning.'
Even before new agents are deployed, he says, they're not prepared to fight
illegal entry into this country.The agent says there's enormous pressure to
rush people through checkpoints, and he says agents can't take adequate time
to check out suspicious individuals because there are too many of them and
too few agents.
He says the Border Patrol is at the mercy of bureaucrats in Washington who
either don't realize the extent of the terrorist threat or who choose to
deny it.
'Before September 11, I tell people 'yeah, you can make arguments for
anything you wanted 'cause we were relatively safe, or we thought we were.
After September 11, everything changed, and to continue to do business as if
September 11 never happened, which is what we do in our agency, I don't
think that's acceptable and I think people need to know what's really
happening."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/TySplB/TM