http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2004/12/29/opinions/baden.txt

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Time for Terrorists

Most who believe the end is nigh are mere curiosities, disappointment
their shared reward. In contrast, Islamic terrorists know precisely
when their world will end and murder on their way out.

Empathy doesn't help me understand these terrorists. Economics and
ethnology do. The explanation has less to do with money than with
culture and perceived time to eternity. I see an important lesson in a
recent bank failure in Ephraim, Utah.
The collapse of a 99-year-old bank came from the bizarre behavior of a
sect that splintered from the Mormons. This polygamist group of 9,000
souls believed civilization would soon end. Hence, they borrowed as
though there was no reckoning of balance sheets. Since they have a
monopoly on received wisdom and are the elect of the earth, why
shouldn't they borrow from the gentiles? Apparently, they believed God
would handle the final audit and their accounts would clear.

Although I once was an anthropologist and studied disparate cultures,
I've never been comfortable with dogmatic fundamentalists. There is no
demonstrable, definitive challenge to those claiming a direct pipeline
to God's wisdom. Like our Founding Fathers, I find divinely justified
impositions of rules and constraints most disturbing. This behavior is
quintessentially un-American. (Perhaps the founders were divinely
inspired when drafting our Constitution. I'll never know.) Back to the
poor bank and its woeful depositors.

Members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day
Saints took out a series of poorly conceived loans. One was for a
watermelon farm that raised no watermelons. Another was to convert
abandoned army barracks into motels and housing. The bank neglected
due diligence and failed to discover that these ex-military buildings
were contaminated with lead paint and asbestos. It also made a loan to
a fundamentalist Mormon construction company that so underbid city
contracts that it could not even cover material costs.

These bad loans, plus $5 million embezzled by the head cashier, forced
the FDIC to close the Bank of Ephraim last June. Shareholders and
depositors independent of the sect lost millions, although for years
the bank profited from high-interest loans to sect members.

According to the bank president, Keith Church, sect members vowed to
borrow the maximum to prepare for civilization's collapse. Loan
collateral was weak, e.g., the right to use church land for business
purposes.

How does this borrowing behavior relate to the economics of Islamic
terrorism? There is a lesson in it.

There is no central authority in Islam, no Pope, no "President,
Revelator, and Seer," no bishopric. Essentially, there are religious
freelancers with competing visions and pronouncements. While they may
and often do violently disagree with one another, each claims a lock
on pronouncing the Koran's truth.

Included in their several versions of the truth is the proposition
that force is a legitimate, indeed God-sanctioned means of advancing
and protecting the one true faith. This implies that infidels are fair
game. Not only may they be killed with impunity, there are rewards in
heaven for doing so if one dies in the process.

The fundamentalist Mormons of Ephraim believed that civilization would
soon end. Hence, if the world as we know it is passing, the future
consequences of present behavior are highly discounted. Armed with
this knowledge, they could borrow large sums, some $18 million, with
impunity. The "Fundies of Ephraim" didn't know exactly when their
world would end. Time and the relentless logic of compounding interest
caught them up.

In contrast, Islamic terrorists select the time of their end by
detonating the charge. When it goes off, they immediately go to heaven
and collect their rewards. In addition to a substantial settlement to
family survivors, 72 virgins are among the payments to males.
Economics cannot tell us the value to place on this reward. That is
largely a cultural artifact and surely idiosyncratic.

Devout Muslims see the repugnant aspects of western liberty. When
church and state are tightly linked, the fanatics have a moral
advantage. They want the religious perfection of the seventh century
-- and domination in our 21st. This is impossible. They peaked in the
11th. In frustration, some explode themselves, killing others.

Take heart. Be vigilant. This is their death rattle of obsolescence
and decline.

John A. Baden is chairman of the Foundation for Research on Economics
and the Environment (FREE) and Gallatin Writers. Both are based in
Bozeman.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/TySplB/TM