http://www.fingaz.co.zw/fingaz/2005/January/January6/7447.shtml

We have moles in ZANU PF: Tsvangirai
Nelson Banya

MOVEMENT for Democratic Change (MDC) president Morgan Tsvangirai this
week stoked the fires surrounding the unfolding espionage saga by
claiming that his party had infiltrated the ZANU PF government.

Tsvangirai, whose party had suspended participating in all elections
unless the government undertook broad electoral reforms, said the MDC
had broken into ZANU PF’s election rigging machinery, courtesy of moles
within the system.
“We are watching every step the regime is taking in a poor attempt to
steal your voice. That shall fail because we now know them well. We are
deep inside.
“We know their strategies and plans, thanks to an increasing number of
patriotic Zimbabweans in their system. We have sufficient material and
determination to draw a line in the sand and block yet another round of
electoral fraud. In 2005, we are ready to hit the ground and stop the
rot,” Tsvangirai said in his widely distributed weekly message.
The ZANU PF government has, in recent weeks, been besieged by a
sensational spy saga, which has so far sucked in prominent businessman
and the party’s Mashonaland West province, Philip Chiyangwa,
ambassador-designate to Mozambique, Godfrey Dzvairo, ZANU PF deputy
security chief Kenneth Karidza, Zimbabwe’s intelligence attaché in
Geneva, Erasmus Moyo and the party’s director for external affairs Itai
Marchi.
Former Metropolitan Bank company secretary Tendai Matambanadzo has also
been implicated in the alleged spy ring, while several other senior ZANU
PF officials, including two cabinet ministers, look set to be drawn into
the imbroglio.
Chiyangwa, Dzvairo, Marchi and Matambanadzo have already appeared in
court to face charges of contravening Section 4 of the Official Secrets
Act, while Karidza will make a court appearance tomorrow. Moyo, who had
been recalled by the government from Geneva, did not return to Zimbabwe
is now on the run.
Party and government officials implicated in the case are alleged to
have been passing on state secrets to foreign intelligence
organisations, with the US’ Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and
Britain’s MI-5 being linked to the intriguing espionage drama.
Harare has had a bitter diplomatic stand-off with Washington and
Whitehall for the past five years, with President Robert Mugabe accusing
the latter of seeking to overthrow his government.
Britain and the US have led international efforts to isolate the ZANU PF
government, accusing it of a serious democracy deficit and widespread
human rights abuses.
The two states led a chorus of disapproval following President Mugabe’s
hotly contested re-election in the 2002 presidential election.
Tsvangirai’s statements are likely to cause further discomfort within
the ruling party, itself long accused of infiltrating opposition groups
and ultimately destroying them from within.
ZANU PF national chairman John Nkomo, a target of Jonathan Moyo’s
vitriol a couple of months ago, has recently spoken about infiltrators
that have destabilised the foundation of the party.
“We were infiltrated by a few termites, which began their long journey
of burrowing through our core values of liberation, discipline, unity,
respect and loyalty,” Nkomo wrote in ZANU PF’s Voice newspaper.
ZANU PF is in the middle of frantic efforts to break away from emergent
young politicians who had broken into influential party positions, with
the old guard of liberation war politicians reasserting themselves in
the party.

--
OpenPGP Key: 030E44E6
--

Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.