http://www.geostrategy-direct.com/geostrategy-direct/secure/2005/1_11/2.asp

Kurds are best U.S. ally in Iraq but radicals in their midst could
trigger war with Turkey

The Kurdish Workers Party (PKK) presence in northern Iraq remains a
headache for the United States.
Bush administration officials and the Joint Chiefs of Staff have
agreed that the PKK presence must be removed from northern Iraq to
ensure the stability of the country. They cited Iraqi and Turkish
opposition to the PKK as well as concern that northern Iraq would turn
into an insurgency haven against neighboring Turkey.
But the United States has not determined how to eliminate the PKK
without jeopardizing the support of the larger Kurdish community in
northern Iraq. The Kurds are regarded as the best allies the United
States has in Iraq.
"It's a difficult task and to dig them out and engage that fight, I
think, will take a considerable amount of forces and we need to do
that at the right time," said Lt. Gen. Lance Smith, deputy chief of
U.S. Central Command.
The fate of the PKK presence in northern Iraq was a leading issue in
talks during the visit by U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Richard
Armitage to Turkey. On Jan. 3, Armitage reportedly assured Turkish
leaders that U.S., Turkish and Iraqi officials would convene talks
later in 2005 to discuss the PKK, which appears on the State
Department list of terrorist groups.
"We're going to have, we hope in the near future, a trilateral meeting
here in Ankara to discuss the whole question of the PKK," Armitage said.
Turkish officials said the meeting would include a plan to destroy the
PKK bases in northern Iraq. They said Iraq would host the meeting, but
no date has been set.
At a recent briefing, Smith acknowledged Ankara's concern over the
presence of an estimated 4,000 PKK insurgents south of the Turkish
border.
The general said the U.S. military was sharing intelligence with Iraq
and Turkey regarding the PKK.
But he said a major problem was distinguishing between PKK operatives
and other Kurds. The PKK is constantly moving between Iraq and
neighboring countries as well as settling within Kurdish communities.
"They've integrated themselves into society, so it's very difficult
for us to tell who is PKK and who is not, as it is difficult for the
Turkish forces that are up in the region to tell," Smith said. "And
when we move against them, they move into other parts of the world or
of the area that gives them some level of sanctuary."
Turkey has warned the United States that Ankara would not allow the
PKK to remain in northern Iraq. Officials said Turkey's military was
increasing its presence along the Iraqi border and is conducting
exercises that could portend a military operation in northern Iraq in
the next few months.

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM