+  The government's delay in taking action has also raised concern
that violence and radical Islam may already have become entrenched in
Bangladesh. In the northern town of Rangpur, police told local
reporters that two arrested militants claimed to be part of a
15,000-strong militia aiming to "bring about an Islamic revolution."
And talking to reporters while in custody, the Arabic professor Al
Galib who denies links with extremists- warned that any campaign to
rein in fundamentalism would fail. "Whether we are hanged or jailed,
our movement will continue," he declared. Until last week, that seemed
guaranteed. Now, finally, Bangladesh can ho that he is wrong. +

Dak Bangla:
BANGLADESH: Reining in the Radicals

Reining in the Radicals
Bangladesh is finally starting to crack down on Islamic extremism. But
is it doing enough?
BY ALEX PERRY

For three years, a wave of bombings, assassinations and religious
violence has swept Bangladesh. Members of the militant Jagrata Muslim
Janata Bangladesh (J.M.J.B.) in the north have claimed responsibility
for the bombings of cinemas and cultural shows, and for the killing of
scores of Hindus and Buddhists as well as Muslims they considered too
lax. A campaign of assassinations by bombs saw failed attempts last
year on British High Commissioner Anwar Choudhury and opposition
leader Sheikh Hasina, and a successful bid on Jan. 27 to kill senior
opposition figure Shah Abu Mohammed Shamsul Kibria. Meanwhile, Western
intelligence agencies are increasingly concerned about the rise of
Islamic extremism. "We were blind on Afghanistan, Pakistan and
Indonesia," says a South Asia-based Western intelligence official. "We
don't want to miss the signs this time around."

Yet until very recently, Bangladeshi officials flatly denied that the
country was a hotbed of militancy and violence. "We have no official
knowledge of the existence of J.M.J.B.," State Minister for Home
Affairs Lutfozzaman Babar told reporters on Jan. 26. "Certain
so-called newspapers have been running reports on it, [but] we have no
record that any such group has formed."

Last week, however, the government dramatically changed its strategy.
Police announced the arrest of scores of suspected militants in two
days; they allegedly included several in possession of explosives and
bomb-making equipment, as well as a professor of Arabic named Mohammed
Asadullah Al Galib whom Bangladeshi authorities have accused of having
ties to militants in the Middle East and Asia. Officials also banned
Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (J.M.B.) and the suddenly acknowledged
J.M.J.B., accusing these two organizations of "a series of murders,
robberies, bomb attacks, threats and various kinds of terrorist acts,"
and of "trying to create social unrest by misleading a group of youths
and abusing their religious sentiments." Police are still looking for
Azizur Rahman (also known as "Bangla Bhai" or "Bangla brother"), the
man they claim is the J.M.J.B.'s leader. Reflecting the authorities'
new attitude, State Minister Babar publicly lamented the failure to
apprehend him, saying: "We feel very disturbed and embarrassed about
this." The security services announced a border alert for 20
fugitives, including Rahman.

There are several reasons for the change of heart. Law and order,
never good in Bangladesh, has deteriorated to frightening levels. Last
month, India forced the cancellation of the annual South Asian
Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) summit, citing poor
security in the host city, Dhaka. Islamic violence is also awkward for
ruling Bangladesh Nationalist Party Prime Minister Khaleda Zia because
her coalition includes two conservative Islamic parties. But the
catalyst for the crackdown appears to have been a donor meeting in
Washington last week, attended by representatives from the U.S., the
United Nations, the European Union and the World Bank, at which the
rising tide of violence and Islamic militancy in Bangladesh and ways
to end it, possibly by suspending funding to the aid-dependent nation
topped the agenda. Bangladesh's donors "are very dissatisfied with the
way things are heading with respect to security, the economy,
corruption and governance," observed Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad,
president of the Bangladesh Economic Association, an independent
Dhaka-based group.

Critics of the government aren't convinced that it's truly committed
to curbing militancy and prosecuting radicals who have been arrested.
Hasina spokesman Saber Hossain Chowdhury, who quickly dismissed the
government's actions as "too little, too late," voices concerns that
Zia's alliance with Islamic fundamentalist groups might make it too
difficult for her to control the forces of extremism. "The root of the
problem ... lies with the ruling alliance itself," he says.

The government's delay in taking action has also raised concern that
violence and radical Islam may already have become entrenched in
Bangladesh. In the northern town of Rangpur, police told local
reporters that two arrested militants claimed to be part of a
15,000-strong militia aiming to "bring about an Islamic revolution."
And talking to reporters while in custody, the Arabic professor Al
Galib who denies links with extremists- warned that any campaign to
rein in fundamentalism would fail. "Whether we are hanged or jailed,
our movement will continue," he declared. Until last week, that seemed
guaranteed. Now, finally, Bangladesh can hope that he is wrong.

With reporting by Saleem Samad

LINK
http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/article/0,13673,501050307-1032429,00.htm
--
Dak Bangla is a Bangladesh based South Asian Intelligence Scan Magazine.

Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/FHLuJD/_WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM