http://dakbangla.blogspot.com/2005/03/bangladesh-murder-and-democracy.html

A reign of terror spreads in Bangladesh
By Nazli Kibria The Boston Globe

Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Murder and democracy

BOSTON My father, Shah A.M.S. Kibria, was assassinated on Jan. 27. He
was 73 years old. In his lifetime he had held various senior positions
in Bangladesh and abroad, including finance minister of Bangladesh,
undersecretary general of the United Nations and executive secretary
of the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, and
foreign secretary of Bangladesh. At the time of his death my father
was a leading member of the opposition in Parliament and a regular
newspaper and magazine columnist.

On the day of his murder, my father had gone to address a public
meeting in his constituency of Habiganj, Sylhet, in the northeast part
of Bangladesh. As he was leaving the meeting, grenades exploded; three
people, including my cousin Shah Manzur Huda, were instantly killed.
My severely injured father died in an ill-equipped ambulance in which
he was placed to make the three-hour road journey from Habiganj to
Dhaka, the capital. My mother, who was in Dhaka, received news of the
attack just half an hour after it occurred. She, along with opposition
party leaders, frantically tried to contact the government authorities
to request helicopter transport to Dhaka for my father so that he
could receive medical treatment. But their requests went unanswered.

As I was reading through my father's columns and other published
writings from the past year, I was overwhelmed by an eerie sense of
foreboding. I turned to my husband and said, "He knew it was coming,
he wrote of his own death." In article after article, with growing
anxiety and dismay, my father pointed to the spiraling decline of the
country. He noted the unchecked lawlessness and the growth in the
forces of religious extremism and of state-sponsored political
violence. In the wake of his assassination, his prescient commentaries
haunt us.

On Feb. 4, I stood, along with my family, outside our family home in
Dhaka to participate in a silent protest demonstration. Thousands of
people - men and women, young and old, rickshaw pullers and lawyers,
and many with no political party affiliations - joined us. Fellow
protesters came up to me and remarked, "They did not just kill your
father, they killed us." I heard from them that my father's killing
has come to symbolize their desperate struggle to overcome the
powerful and dark forces that threaten the heart and soul of the
country.

There is no doubt that the assassination of my father is part of a
larger and systematic campaign of terror in Bangladesh, one that seeks
to destroy the forces of moderation, democracy and freedom, and
convert Bangladesh into a "Muslim state." A reign of terror has been
unleashed on opposition party leaders, religious minorities,
journalists, progressive intellectuals and writers, and women's rights
activists.

To the utter amazement of many, both in Bangladesh and abroad, the
BNP-Jamaat government in Bangladesh has steadfastly held to the
position that all is well in the country. The government has failed to
effectively investigate the many grenade and bomb attacks that have
occurred over the past four years, thereby providing encouragement to
the perpetrators of these attacks. Instead, the primary focus of the
Bangladesh government has been on suppressing protest and dissent.

Expatriate Bangalis are being continually warned to avoid tarnishing
the country's image abroad. At the very least, the role of the
government in the current reign of terror in Bangladesh is one of
complicity.

The fact that the current political crisis in Bangladesh has not, thus
far, attracted much attention in the United States does not make it
any less pressing. I would urge Americans who are in positions of
power and influence to put Bangladesh on their radar screen now,
before it is too late. There is still time for a peaceful,
diplomacy-centered resolution to the political crisis in Bangladesh, a
country that is home to the fourth-largest concentration of Muslims in
the world.

My mother, brother and I are asking for an independent international
investigation team to be immediately sent to Bangladesh to look into
the grenade attack on my father and the circumstances of his death.
The killers of my father must be brought to justice. The achievement
of this goal would, I believe, be an important step toward restoring
political democracy in Bangladesh and of reviving the hopes and dreams
of its 141 million citizens.

LINK
http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/03/08/news/edkibria.html
--
Dak Bangla is a Bangladesh based South Asian Intelligence Scan Magazine.

Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/FHLuJD/_WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM