as being left wing.

David Bier

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050323/NEWS/503230348/1004

Published Wednesday, March 23, 2005
House OKs Student `Free Speech' Bill
Detractors say it is geared toward conservative and religious views.

By Joe Follick
Ledger Tallahassee Bureau

TALLAHASSEE -- University students would be guaranteed "free inquiry
and free speech" in the classroom under a bill approved by a House
committee Tuesday.

But detractors said it would open up legal assaults from students
upset by the absence of fringe views.

"Students that say, `I don't believe the Holocaust happened. I believe
that birth control is a sin. I think that prayer is a way to deal with
illness rather than medical intervention.' All of those people (would)
have standing to go to the courts" if college professors discussed
those broad topics without addressing their particular concerns, said
Rep. Dan Gelber, D-Miami Beach.

House Bill 837's sponsor, Ocala Republican Rep. Dennis Baxley,
disagreed forcefully, saying conservatives are targets of
"persecution" on campus. Baxley recalled his first day in an
anthropology class at Florida State University when the professor
said, "Evolution is a fact. There's no missing link. I don't want to
hear any talk about intelligent design and if you don't like that,
there's the door.

"The leftists with those viewpoints didn't take our campuses," Baxley
said. "Those in the mainstream just relinquished them for fear of
being called bigots."

A House committee approved the bill on party lines Tuesday. Given
Baxley's powerful post of House Education Council chairman, passage in
the House seems likely.

But Baxley admitted passage in the Senate might be more difficult.

The Senate has yet to schedule a hearing for its version of the bill.
Baxley said he got the idea for the bill from well-known conservative
activist David Horowitz. Horowitz's group, Students for Academic
Freedom, has pushed for passage of similar bills in all 50 states.

House Bill 837 promises to protect "free inquiry and free speech
within the academic community." A portion of the bill says that
students should not have their academic freedom "infringed upon by
instructors who persistently introduce controversial matter into the
classroom that has no relation to the subject of study and serves no
legitimate pedagogical purpose."

Baxley says the bill would also protect a pro-choice student from
retribution if he disagreed with a professor's pro-life stances, but
argued it was to protect conservative voices in liberal academe.

Gelber said the bill would infringe academic freedom by banishing open
dialogue with no restraints. "Candidly, it's a horrible step," he said.

Baxley said even if the bill doesn't become law, it serves as warning
to professors misusing their position "in order to indoctrinate the
next generation."

Teachers and professors' groups are opposed to the bill, but did not
provide specifics during brief remarks in the House Choice and
Innovation Committee Tuesday.

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM