[Excerpt: Referring to the turbulent world scenario he said the Muslim
countries need to follow the strategy of enlightened moderation with
emphasis on its socio-economic development. The West, on the hand,
should address political problems affecting the Muslim world and assist
them in their socio-economic well-being.....The President said Pakistan
is receiving assistance for improvement in the education sector but
emphasized that it would not affect the country’s Islamic
character.....“We are not a secular state but an Islamic republic, we
are for enlightened education - but let me assure you that we will
remain Islamic Republic of Pakistan,” he underscored....In this context,
the President said Pakistan Electronic Media Authority will put a strict
check on transmission of content to the viewers and ensure that no
content affront to our values is transmitted.]

http://www.pakistantimes.net/2005/03/26/top1.htm

Saturday, March 26, 2005 5:39:20 AM

 Balochistan solution not on Bugti’s terms: Musharraf
By Maria A Khan - Pakistan Times Staff Correspondent

ISLAMABAD: President General Pervez Musharraf FridPresident of Pakistan
General Pervez Musharrafay pressed the treasury lawmakers especially the
cabinet members over quorum issue in Parliament, calling it ‘very
embarrassing’ and censured a female MNA for taking ‘solo flight’ over
the Karokari bill.

Addressing the ruling members here at Presidency, Musharraf also
confirmed that exiled leadership of Pakistan People’s Party and Pakistan
Muslim League [N] will not be allowed to return before 2007, the year of
next general elections as he affirmed that the assemblies will complete
their five-year term.

“If someone wants to arrive back, he or she will have to face the cases
lying pending in courtrooms,” Musharraf said while referring to Ms
Benazir Bhutto, Mian Nawaz Sharif and Mian Shahbaz Sharif.

Moderate, Enlightened Leadership

But he equally urged the legislators to strengthen his hands to bring
forth the moderate and enlightened political leadership in next polls.

President Musharraf said his urge to bring forth the moderate forces, is
not due to the fact that he likes them rather it is direly needed since
the country requires that at a time when the extremist elements have
held hostage Pakistan and causing internal instability.

Terrorism, a great Menace

He said terrorism is a great menace that needs to be curbed completely
as otherwise it will be very harmful to the country.

The President said the security agencies have broken the terrorist
network, but a lot is there to be done to close this chapter and it
calls for encouraging the liberal and moderate leaders to come forward.

Musharraf had earlier stated that the PPP-P is a moderate party and he
wished that PPP-P and other moderate political forces should join hands
with him to fight extremism.

The President lauded the PML chief Chaudhry Shujat Hussain for playing
in instrumental role to resolve the Balochistan crisis.

Of Akbar Bugti

He said the government strongly desires to resolve this issue once and
for all, but not on the terms and conditions of Baloch nationalist,
Akbar Bugti.

“Bugti at present harbours his private army of 7,000 people, Marri tribe
9,000 and Mengal tribe 10,000, he said and asked “Who is funding them
and providing ammunitions they are using to meet their nefarious
designs.”

He said the situation is very alarming and their financial supply line
needs to be ascertained. Musharraf said the government cannot be cowed
down by the threats being hurled by Akbar Bugti and will continue the
development projects being carried out in the poverty-stricken and
resource-rich province.

Credible sources say that the President expressed his displeasure over
the quorum problem, which has become a permanent feature during the
National Assembly’s proceeding.

He said it is very embarrassing to note while keeping in view the fact
that more than one hundred legislators are holding the cabinet offices,
the parliamentary secretary slots and chairmanship of the standing
committees.

They have cars, offices and other perks at their disposals. But how
strange that the treasury cannot meet the borderline of 86 members
needed to start proceeding of the House. That could result in brining
bad name to the government from the democratic world. “It is really very
embarrassing,” a lawmaker quoted Musharraf as saying.

Kashmala Tariq's Move

The President also said to have reprimanded a PML female lawmaker
Kashmala Tariq who had proposed amendments in Karokari bill and that too
without consulting the party leadership.

Musharraf said there is no harm in proposing amendments, but the party
is needed to be taken into confidence instead of making things on ones
own, as it is violation of the party discipline.

About the rape-victim Mukhtaran Mai, he said the hype is being created
without any reason as the government has itself taken steps to provide
her justice.

About the economic conditions, Musharraf said the indicators show a
positive shift in economy.

Shujat briefs President on Talks

The PML President Chaudhry Shujat Hussain and Secretary General Mushahid
Hussain Friday held a meeting with President Pervez Musharraf before
noon.

During an hour-long meeting they discussed the Balochistan situation and
their parleys with Akbar Bugti during Thursday’s visit to Dera Bugti.

They informed Musharraf about the terms and conditions of Bugti and his
proposed solutions. They were of the view that situation demands the
amicable political solution of the crisis.

Rules out military action in Balochistan

And while responding to questions emailed to him on his website
(presidentofpakistan.gov.pk) in a wide-ranging interaction with
anchorpersons of leading Pakistani TV channels, President General Pervez
Musharraf Friday ruled out any military operation in Balochistan but
reiterated that the Government would not allow anybody to disrupt the
process of development or damage national installations in the province.

“There is no military operation going on in the province nor is there
any need for such an operation - thereis no unrest in Balochistan as its
people look forward to benefiting from the unprecedented development
projects - it is only a handful of vested interests who are involved in
recent acts of sabotage at a few places,” he said.

He commended the performance of the parliamentary committee on
Balochistan and favoured a political dialogue to address problems. “We
will do our utmost for the development of Balochistan, and have already
launched unprecedented development projects in the province,” he said.
He said the people of Balochistan support the Government’s initiatives
for development.

The Government is already focused on the development of Balochistan. He
favoured provincial autonomy and award of better shares for provinces.

Of the PSDP

“All this should happen for peace and harmony - Balochistan is getting
more than its share, it is getting more allocations (13 per cent) under
the PSDP than Punjab (nine per cent),” he said, pointing out that the
Government has increased gas development surcharge, transported gas to
cities and towns of the province and carried out unparalleled
development activity in the last four years.

The President saw no reason for recent attacks in the wake of
large-scale development of the province.

On the vested interest’s getting money and possessing weapons he said
the Government is looking into whether they are following their own
designs or some foreign hand is involved.

Price Hike

General Pervez Musharraf said the Government is fully alive to the price
hike, which is a fallout of both the rising international oil prices and
the country’s higher economic growth rate.

The President said he has asked the Prime Minister and the provincial
governments to keep a check on price-hike and keep the prices at minimum
levels.

Pakistan, he said, will have to reduce its dependence on oil, which has
already come down by ten per cent from about 70 to 60 per cent, as the
country is now consuming more gas.

The higher growth rate of 6.4 per cent has strengthened the purchasing
power of people, which has led to increase in demand, putting pressure
on the supplies.

“We will patch up the difference and strike a balance between demand and
supply,” he said, referring to the Government’s commitment to generating
inexpensive energy by making use of water, coal, wind and solar
resources.

Refutes increase in unemployment

The President strongly refuted the view that unemployment has increased,
saying a robust 18 per cent industrial growth and expansion of agrarian
sector with the additional benefits to the tune of Rs 75 billion and
bumper wheat and cotton crops clearly indicate creation of more jobs.

“Now, how come the country has surged its annual exports to US dollars
14 billion, clearly more factories are coming up and the production has
picked up - look at the massive activity in the housing sector, the flow
of investment into telecom, IT , surgical, textile and pharmaceutical
sectors - qualified people and labourers are getting employment in urban
centres.

“Similarly, the rural areas have seen injection of Rs 75 billion, the
Government’s enhancing of support prices of key crops has brought
sustained profits to farmers in rural areas, which have 70 per cent of
the country’s population - their increasing purchase-power is amply
evident from the spiraling production and sales of motorbikes in the
villages.”

He said the country will have 1.5 million bales of cotton this year and
the boom in the building sector is having a positive effect on dozens of
downstream industries.

A marked increase in the automobile production also proves that more
employment opportunities are opening up. “The Government is firmly on
course to quicken the pace of passing benefits of economic turnaround on
the common man.”

The President said the Government is conscious of the need to trickle
down benefits of economic stability to the fixed-income group in the
public sector to offset inflationary pressure.

The Government, he recalled, increased their salaries last year and will
look into effecting a further increase in their salaries.

Enlightened Moderation

Responding to a question, the President dismissed the impression that
the strategy of enlightened moderation has been proposed under some
foreign influence, saying all decisions are taken in Pakistan and in
national interests.

“That has become a fashion with the some Opposition leaders to allege
that whatever is happening in the country, is at the behest of the
United States. That amounts to insulting the nation, as Pakistan has a
tremendous geo-strategic importance economically and militarily.”

“We are a sovereign nation, we should have pride in ourselves and have
confidence in our abilities, we have vast economic potential” he said.
Continuing, the President said nobody is dictating Pakistan. “Pakistan
comes first, there is no pressure on us, nor will we take any, all
decisions are being taken in the country’s interests,” he stated.

In this respect, he recalled Pakistan’s independent decisions on the
question of Iraq war at the UN Security Council. He asserted that
enlightened moderation does not at all mean Westernization. “We cannot
be westernized, this is an Islamic republic, having its own culture and
values.”

There is only one version of Islam, we should have an enlightened
understanding of Islam and promote its real values, he said, underlining
the importance of creating greater awareness about responsibilities
individuals owe to the society.

Turbulent World Scenario

Referring to the turbulent world scenario he said the Muslim countries
need to follow the strategy of enlightened moderation with emphasis on
its socio-economic development. The West, on the hand, should address
political problems affecting the Muslim world and assist them in their
socio-economic well-being.

The President said Pakistan is receiving assistance for improvement in
the education sector but emphasized that it would not affect the
country’s Islamic character.

“We are not a secular state but an Islamic republic, we are for
enlightened education - but let me assure you that we will remain
Islamic Republic of Pakistan,” he underscored.

In this context, the President said Pakistan Electronic Media Authority
will put a strict check on transmission of content to the viewers and
ensure that no content affront to our values is transmitted.

The Extremism

On extremism, the President said Pakistan is the only country that is
addressing simultaneously the menaces of religious extremism, terrorism
and sectarian extremism and terrorism.

Responding to an email, the President said once Pakistan and India
resolving their thorny issues including the lingering Jammu and Kashmir
dispute, the two South Asian countries should cooperate in the economic,
commercial and sports fields for the well-being of their peoples.

“We have to resolve the Kashmir dispute, we cannot put it under the
carpet,” he emphasized.

Of PML and PPP

are two main parties of Pakistan.

He said it would be in Pakistan’s interest that the nation brings to the
fore moderate and enlightened leadership in the 2007 general elections.

He said the present government would continue to work up to year 2007
and added that it has been delivering in terms of good governance.

The President said Pakistanis are religious people but not extremists.
However, he said, obscurantist forces, who are in minority, have
somehow, gained influence, which needs to be addressed. “We have to make
Pakistan a model country for the Muslim world.”

Pakistan, he said, needs large dams to meet its fast-rising development
requirements and has to take decisions in this regard futuristically. He
said the Government would remove apprehensions in Sindh and NWFP vis a
vis construction of large dams.

The President thanked all those who emailed to him and said he draws
strength from their expression of support for his policies.

Balochistan CM meets PM

Meanwhile, Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Muhammad Yousaf called on
Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz here on Friday and discussed with him the
current situation in Dera Bugti and Sui since March 17 clash between
Bugti tribemen and the FC personnel.

The Prime Minister told the chief minister that the government is keen
to resolve the Balochistan issue in an atmosphere of harmony and
understanding through dialogue while ensuring the security of the
national installations, life and property of the people in the province
by enforcing the writ of the government.

Aziz emphasized the need to further accelerate the work on the ongoing
development projects in the province and assured that the Federal
government would extend all possible support and assistance in order to
improve the quality of life of the people.?
enditem

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM