<http://www.townhall.com/columnists/joelmowbray/printjm20050404.shtml>

Townhall.com

The Real Mahmoud Abbas
Joel Mowbray (back to web version) | Send

April 4, 2005

Turn on Palestinian television or open a Palestinian newspaper these days,
and much of the content looks like it could have come from a time capsule
from Yasser Arafat's murderous reign: brainwashed mothers and children
discussing the "glory" of "martyrdom," top clerics calling for the
destruction of Israel, and general vilification of the Jewish "oppressors."
And new, supposedly moderate Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas is acting a
lot like his old partner Arafat: Hamas and other terrorist organizations
have yet to be disarmed, let alone shut down, and terrorist leaders
continue using the revolving door to get out of jail.

 Although it is still fairly early in Abbas' tenure-less than three months
since his "election" and just under five months since Arafat died-the early
record is far from encouraging, yet hardly surprising.

 Aside from being a communist Holocaust denier and Arafat's right-hand man
for decades, Abbas has always hailed from the same school of moral thought
that "Palestine" includes all of Israel and that there's nothing inherently
wrong with suicide bombings.  His criticism of terrorism, which is always
noted by the media and the international community so eager to embrace him,
is based on his belief that slaughtering innocent civilians is merely
strategically unhelpful.

Due to the invaluable efforts of Palestinian Media Watch and its director,
Itamar Marcus, we know that Abbas' early tenure suggests he is simply
Arafat in Western clothing.

On November 17, less than a week after Arafat's death-before the January
"election," but during which time Abbas was already firmly in
control-Palestinian Authority television (PATV) broadcast an interview with
a mother whose two sons were suicide bombers.

To mothers who might think that sending their sons to commit murder by
suicide might be "encouraging them to die," this was her message: "No, we
do not encourage our sons to die. We encourage them to Shahada [martyrdom]
for the homeland, for Allah."  She further explained, in fact, that it was
"joyous," demanding celebration: "For us, the mourning is joyous. We give
out drinks, we give out sweets. Praise to God-the mourning is a joyous
occasion."

Even after Abbas was officially declared prime minister, incitement
remained a mainstay of PATV.  On February 4, one of the PA's top clerics,
who is on the PA payroll, explicitly advocated what many Abbas critics have
long charged is the new prime minister's ultimate goal: using diplomacy to
establish a Palestinian state and then switching to violence to wipe out
all of Israel.

In a nationally-televised sermon, imam Ibrahim Mudyris said, "[W]e shall
return to the 1967 borders [by diplomacy], but we have not given up on
[Israeli cities] Jerusalem, Haifa, Jaffa, Lod, Ramle, Netanya and Tel
Aviv.  Never.  We shall return to every village we have been expelled from,
by Allah's will."  Making clear the means by which he believes Palestinians
should reclaim Israel, he explained that Palestinians shall "return as
Muhammad returned-as conqueror."

Just over a month later, a different PA-employed cleric celebrated
International Woman's Day by encouraging mothers to send their children to
death-with Abbas in the audience.  Sheikh Yusuf Juma' Salamah quoted Al
Khansah, a heroine in Islamic tradition who thanked God for having her four
sons die in battle: "Praise Allah, who granted me honor with their deaths."

Not only was Abbas in the audience, but the sermon must have been given the
stamp of approval by his government.  "This was the first Friday sermon
broadcast after the PA announced that it would control and vet all Friday
sermons delivered in West Bank and Gaza mosques," notes Marcus.

While it would be naïve to think that Abbas could change Palestinian
society overnight, he has more or less carried on Arafat's legacy.
Quantity-wise, there is substantially less incitement, according to Marcus,
but as already detailed, Palestinians are being fed a diet that is still
peppered with violence and venom.

Abbas has the power to stop the indoctrination.  The Palestinian Authority
is not a real democracy.  Not even close.  Abbas won a coronation
masquerading as an election.  He is still the dictator of a closed
society.  Arafat's longtime comrade-in-arms is the puppet master and all
organs of Palestinian government and media are under his control.

If only it were just the media.  Hamas is still intact, as is every other
known Palestinian terrorist entity.  Abbas refuses to stand up to the
terrorists; instead, like Arafat, he proudly prefers to work with them.
And work with them, indeed.  He's already announced plans to release two
high-profile terrorists: Ahmed Saadat, the head of terrorist group Popular
Front for the Liberation of Palestine, and Fuad Shubaki, Arafat's former
deputy who spearheaded efforts to smuggle arms from Iran aboard the
Karine-A.

 There is a legitimate question how far ahead of a deeply radicalized
Palestinian population Abbas can go.  At the very least, he could aim to be
a step ahead and try to lead them in a new direction.  But he's not-and it
shows.

©2005 Joe
--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/FHLuJD/_WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM