Support grows for beefing up U.S. forces
Some see situations where volunteers may not be enough
- Edward Epstein, Chronicle Washington Bureau
Monday, April 4, 2005

Washington -- The war-strained all-volunteer U.S. military has a
growing manpower problem and a cross-section of Washington
policymakers has proposed a solution -- increase the size of the
regular military by 30,000, 40,000 or even 100, 000 or more.

While just about all the proponents maintain they want to achieve
the increase by offering recruits bigger financial incentives or
through appeals to patriotism, lurking in the background is a
possibility that for now remains anathema to all but a few. The
military draft, which coughed up its last conscript in 1973, could
make a comeback if recruiting doesn't pick up and if America's
commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan turn into long-term occupations
or if the Bush administration's tough-minded foreign policy means
military action in places like Iran or North Korea.

It's important to note that the Bush administration adamantly scorns
the idea of a resumed draft. It won't even agree to a permanent
increase in the Army's size, which Congress temporarily boosted by
30,000 last year, saying instead that Defense Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld's plan to transform the military into a high-tech, mobile
force will meet the nation's needs.

But the administration does admit it has a problem, particularly in
filling the ranks in the 500,000-person regular Army and the 675,000-
person Army National Guard and Army Reserve, which have been called
upon to carry a large part of the burden of deploying to Iraq and
Afghanistan. In a March 23 press conference, Army Secretary Francis
Harvey said that in the first two months of 2005, the active Army
was meeting 94 percent of its recruiting goal, the Reserve 90
percent and the Guard 75 percent.

"Obviously, I'm concerned about the National Guard. I am cautiously
optimistic about the Reserve and the active component,'' he
said. "We're doing everything that we know how to do in order to
meet our goals."

More recruiters are being sent out to work with young people and
their parents. A new advertising agency has been brought in. The
maximum enlistment age in the Guard and Reserve has been boosted
from 34 to 39.

But, Harvey reiterated, there are no plans to rescind the "don't
ask, don't tell'' policy that makes it impossible for gays and
lesbians to serve openly in the military.

Plans to expand

Many in Congress and in wider policy-discussion circles aren't
waiting to see the results of the Pentagon's stepped-up efforts.
Sens. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb. and Jack Reed, D-R.I., have proposed
adding 30,000 soldiers to the Army. Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., has
proposed a 30,000-person increase in the Army and 10, 000 to the
Marines, and Rep. Ellen Tauscher, D-Walnut Creek, wants to add some
20,000 to the Army, 12,000 to the Marine Corps and 29,000 to the Air
Force.

A bipartisan group put together by the Project for the New American
Century, a group that reflects the thinking of the neoconservatives
who have been so influential in determining President Bush's
military and foreign policies, sent a letter to congressional
leaders in late January. In it, the signatories wrote, "it is our
judgment that we should aim for an increase in the active duty Army
and Marine Corps, together, of at least 25,000 troops each year over
the next several years.''

Signers included not just such neoconservative stalwarts as magazine
editor and Fox News contributor Bill Kristol, but also Will Marshall
of the Progressive Policy Institute and James Steinberg of the
Brookings Institution, a Clinton administration National Security
Council official.

Kerry, for one, has put a price tag on his proposed increase. The
2004 Democratic presidential nominee, who says he opposes
reinstating the draft, says adding 40,000 people to the regular
military would cost $4.5 billion to $5 billion a year in added pay,
and $2 billion to $3 billion in more benefits needed to attract and
keep recruits.

Military 'stretched'

In proposing a bigger military, Tauscher said the Bush
administration is "continuing to stretch the military and turn a
blind eye to solutions mandated by Congress'' and "could very well
break our military.''

In all, some 310,000 military personnel are serving in 120 countries
around the world. In Iraq and Afghanistan, 40 percent of U.S. forces
are members of the Guard or Reserve and some have been called up
more than once.

So far, the idea of a new draft has attracted scant support in
Congress. Rep Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., and Rep. Pete Stark, D-
Fremont -- both military veterans -- want all 19-year-olds to do a
year or two of national service. Military service would be one of
their options.

'Political hot air'

The idea is widely attacked. "The argument for a draft is political
hot air,'' said Daniel Goure, a military analyst at the Lexington
Institute, a Washington think tank that supports a smaller role for
the federal government.

But he warned that if the Iraq occupation drags on, other foreign
military operations are launched and a half-million more soldiers
are needed, "I don't think we can get there without a draft."

"Anything less than that, I can't see it's necessary and it would be
counterproductive'' by burdening the military with people who don't
want to be there, Goure added.

Charles Pena of the libertarian Cato Institute, which opposes the
draft, said the only way the public would accept a draft would be if
it was part of a broader national service plan in which young people
could still volunteer for the military.

"It might be politically acceptable if all the pressures lead to an
increase in the military,'' Pena said. "But if the administration
can transform Iraqi security forces so they assume more of the
operations in Iraq and can bring forces home, we'll see the
pressures wane.''

Lawrence Korb, assistant defense secretary under President Ronald
Reagan, supports the all-volunteer military. But he said the Bush
administration is severely straining the military and faces a
deadline.

"You've got about another year,'' said Korb, who is now an analyst
at the Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank. "If you
don't cut back in Iraq, your all-volunteer Army and Marine Corps are
going to be in big trouble. ''

But Phillip Carter, a retired Army captain who is now a lawyer,
writer and commentator on military affairs, said there may be little
choice but to reinstate conscription. "The all-volunteer model can't
produce the numbers that might be needed,'' he said.

He favors the national service idea, and says that in his vision
those who opt for military service would only serve as military
police, truck drivers or in homeland security posts.

"It's a matter of pragmatism. We're in a pretty bad spot, and it's
tough to meet the recruiting goals,'' said Carter.

Pena, who wants to see the military budget slashed by about $100
billion, suggests manpower issues could be addressed by withdrawing
the 75,000 troops still stationed in Europe 16 years after the
Berlin Wall came down and the 33, 000 in South Korea and Japan.

"It's not that we're overextended,'' Pena said. "We're over-
committed. We have too many commitments that are no longer germane
to United States interests.''

E-mail Edward Epstein at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Page A - 1

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM