<http://www.nationalreview.com/script/printpage.asp?ref=/derbyshire/derbyshire200504071043.asp>

The National Review
 April 07, 2005, 10:43 a.m.
The Rearguard Pope
One man vs. a posthuman tsunami.

I am not a Roman Catholic. In fact, I was raised in the old English
tradition to think of the Roman Church as a sinister continental conspiracy
- hatchet-faced Jesuits in purple robes, lurking in dark corridors,
muttering subversion in Latin - to deprive honest Englishmen of their
liberties. A few years' acquaintance with the world showed me the absurdity
of all that. Philip II of Spain has been dead for a very long time, and the
great enemies of liberty in our own age have all been atheists. Hitler once
declared his wish to hang the pope in full pontificals from a gibbet in St.
Peter's Square. Stalin sneered at the pontiff for not having any divisions.
I don't know what Mao Tse-tung, Ho Chi Minh, Kim Il Sung, and Pol Pot said
about the Holy Father, but I feel sure it was not very respectful. Well,
whatever side those guys are on, I want to be on the other side. Long live
the papacy!

And John Paul II was, as conservative obituarists of every persuasion have
noted gratefully, one of the key figures in the fall of Russian Communism
and its East European empire. With Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan -
they all came to power within a year or two of each other - he helped to
rally the forces of civilization against our enemies. Vigorous, handsome,
plain-spoken, clear in his convictions, and obviously afraid of nothing
terrestrial at all, John Paul II shone like a lighthouse through the fog of
fear, doubt, and defeatism that had shrouded the West and its values
through the 1970s.

It is therefore sad to reflect that the quarter century of his papacy was a
terrible disaster for the Roman Catholic Church. Regular attendance at
Mass* all over the traditionally Catholic world dropped like a stone all
through John Paul II's papacy. Everywhere in the great Catholic bastions of
southern Europe - Austria, Italy, Spain, Portugal - the story is the same.
In France, "eldest daughter of the Church," the only argument is whether
regular Mass attendance today is just above, or just below, ten percent. In
Ireland - Ireland! - the numbers declined steadily from the 90 percent of
1973 to 60 percent in 1996, since when they have fallen off a cliff, to 48
percent in 2001 and heading south. A hundred years ago the U.S. Church
imported priests from Ireland; now Ireland imports them from Nigeria.

 And then of course there have been the scandals and the exposés, with
their dire effects not only on the image of the priesthood, but on Church
finances. Twenty-seven years ago, when John Paul II ascended the papal
throne, the natural reaction of a Roman Catholic on hearing that a young
man had been ordained would have been: "His parents must be so proud!"
Nowadays it is more likely to be: "Oh, I didn't know he was gay." And the
most elementary duty of the Catholic laity, the making of more little
Catholics, is now widely neglected: The old Catholic nations of Europe have
the lowest birthrates in recorded history.

 The debate among devout Catholics about this calamity, so far as I can
follow it, is not very enlightening. Conservatives blame it all on the
reforms of the Vatican II Council (1962-5); liberals blame it on John Paul
II himself, saying that his firm traditionalist approach to core doctrines
turned off the more open-minded Catholic laity. Both surely know in their
hearts that the real culprit is the irresistible appeal of secular hedonism
to healthy, busy, well-educated populations. We live, as never before in
human history, in a garden of delights, with something new to distract and
delight us every day. None of that is enough to turn the heads of those who
are truly, constitutionally devout; but not many human beings are, nor ever
have been, that committed to their faith. And so the flock wanders away to
the rides, the prize booths, and the freak shows.

That's how it is in the wealthy, comfortable nations of Europe and the
Anglosphere, in any case. I have been hearing for 30 years - since at least
Paul Johnson's History of Christianity came out in 1976 - that hope for
regeneration of the Church is to be sought in the third world. Is it?

Contemplating some of my more devout Catholic friends, with their sober
middle-class styles of worship, their comprehensive knowledge of
fifth-century theological squabbles, their gloomy, comfortable old
churches, their Teach Yourself Latin CDs, and then seeing TV clips of some
huge African congregation joyfully swaying and ululating together in their
gaudy new cathedral, I quietly ask myself: Is that really what you want?
Paul Johnson:
 Many of these religions or cults are associated with the desire for land,
and reflect the traditional native leadership of priest-kings. In fact they
are tribal churches. They are characterized by sacramental vomiting, water
rituals, and speaking with tongues, such as (a very common formula):

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 Hhayi, hhayi, hhayi, hhayi,

 Sorry Jesus Sorry Jesus Sorry Jesus

 Spy spy spy, Naughty boy, Naughty boy

 Nhayi hhayi hhayi - Halleluja, hallelujah,

 Amen

Well, at least we shan't have to learn Latin. All this talk about the third
world coming in to redress the balance of the first strikes me as
irrelevant, anyway. Either the third world continues to languish in
poverty, corruption, and disease, in which case we shall all do our best to
continue ignoring it, expiating our mild guilt with a cash donation now and
then, or else it will become stable, healthy, and prosperous, in which case
the delights of hedonistic secularism will likely have the same effect on
spirituality down there as they are having up here.

 Conservatives are not supposed to believe that human beings are the
helpless instruments of blind Historical Forces. We are supposed to be the
people who celebrate humanity in all its knotty and unpredictable variety,
and in the power of the individual human will to transform the world. Did
not John Paul II himself challenge, and help defeat, those who claimed the
mandate of History? Yes, but that only adds a gloss of irony to his larger
failure.

Looking back across the past few decades, it's hard not to think that
post-industrial modernism is headed all one way, everywhere it has taken a
firm grip. Pleasure-giving gadgets and drugs are ever cheaper and more
accessible. The distresses of life, especially physical sickness and pain,
are gradually being pushed to the margins. As scientists probe deeper into
the human genome, the human nervous system, and the biology of human social
arrangements, that divine spark of person-hood that we all feel to be the
essence of ourselves is being chased along narrower and darker passageways
of the brain and the tribal folkways. Happiness itself, it seems, is
genetic. And all this is headedŠwhere?

We all know the answer to that one. It is headed to Brave New World. Our
flesh is supposed to creep when our adversary in argument plays the Brave
New World card. Brave New World! Empty and soulless! Eeeek!

 This gravely underestimates the power of Aldous Huxley's tremendous novel,
which he sat down to begin writing just 74 years ago this month. The issue
posed by the novel, as every thoughtful commentator (Francis Fukuyama and
Leon Kass, to name two) has pointed out, is: What exactly is objectionable
about the world of Year 632 After Ford? As Kass says, the dehumanized
people of that world don't know they are dehumanized, and wouldn't care if
they knew. They are happy; and if they feel any momentary unhappiness, a
pharmacological remedy is ready to hand. If being human means enduring
sorrow, pain, grief envy, loss, accidie, loneliness, and humiliation, why
on earth should anyone be expected to prefer a "fully human" life over a
dehumanized one?

Most people won't. So far as it makes any sense to predict the future, it
seems to me highly probable that the world of 50 or 100 years from now will
bear a close resemblance to Huxley's dystopia - a world without pain,
grief, sickness or war, but also without family, religion, sacrifice, or
nobility of spirit. It's not what I want, personally, and it's not what
Huxley wanted either (he was a religious man, though of a singular type).
It's what most people want, though; so if this darn democracy stuff keeps
spreading, it's what we shall get, for sure. If we don't bring it upon
ourselves, we shall import it from less ethically fastidious nations.

In that context, the late pope will be seen - assuming anyone bothers to
study history any more - as a rearguard fighter, a man who stood up for
human values before they were swept away by the posthuman tsunami. There is
great nobility in that, but it is a tragic nobility, the stiff-necked
nobility of the hopeless reactionary. You might say that John Paul II (who,
you do not need to tell me, would have pounced gleefully on that word
"hopeless") stood athwart History crying "Stop!" Alas, what is coming down
History Turnpike is a convoy of 18-wheel rigs moving fast, and loaded up
full with the stuff that got Doctor Faustus in trouble - knowledge,
pleasure, power. They ain't going to stop for anyone. Homo fuge!

-------------------
 * Figures for church attendance and other indexes of religious interest
are much contested. Generally speaking, the least reliable numbers, though
the most reported, are those where people are simply asked about their
church-going habits. We seem to kid ourselves a lot about this. More
reliable surveys use objective measures, like counting the automobiles in
church parking lots - find the word "parking" on this web site. What seems
to me like a fairly level-headed and comprehensive round-up can be found on
ReligiousTolerance.org.

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/FHLuJD/_WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM