http://www.tkb.org/NewsStory.jsp?storyID=63477

Guantanamo prisoner ignorant of Sept. 11 attacks until he arrived in
U.S. prison camp
The Associated Press, Apr. 14, 2005
KUWAIT CITY

Nasser al-Mutairi, who returned home in January after three years in
locked in Guantanamo Bay, said Thursday that he hadn't even heard of
the Sept. 11 attacks when he was seized by troops in Afghanistan in
2001 _ on suspicion that he was an international terrorist.
Al-Mutairi insisted he was doing charity work in Afghanistan and had
no knowledge of _ or role in _ the attacks on the United States that
triggered the war. The first time he heard of the attacks was after he
arrived at the U.S. naval base in Cuba, he said.

"I was in shock, I had nothing to do with the situation," the bearded
27-year-old told The Associated Press in an interview, a day after he
was released on bail by a Kuwaiti court. "I hadn't heard of (the
attacks), we did not have radios or televisions."
In a rambling interview at his home in Sabahiya, a remote suburb south
of Kuwait City, al-Mutairi spoke of a grueling prison ordeal that
included being shot and catching pneumonia, and the psychological
stress of a long internment.
He said he traveled to Afghanistan a year before the U.S.-led war on
terror, distributing food to poor Afghanis displaced by the country's
civil war.

The U.S. military freed him from Guantanamo and flew him back to
Kuwait in January. Authorities here took him into custody when he
arrived at Kuwait's airport.
While in the U.S. prison camp in Cuba, American interrogators showed
him photos and videos of the hijacked planes slamming into the New
York City twin towers.

"It is a horrendous incident, and I thought then that our detention in
Guantanamo was their way of taking revenge," he said.
Al-Mutairi said he never fought in Afghanistan or had any contacts
with the Taliban who ruled the country when he arrived, or Saudi-born
Osama bin Laden whose al-Qaida terror network is accused of carrying
out the attacks in New York and Washington.
The former prisoner is to stand trial on charges of harming Kuwait by
working for a foreign country, joining a foreign military without
permission and undergoing illegal weapons training. Al-Mutairi denied
the charges in court.
On Tuesday, a judge released him on bail but banned him from leaving
the country.

Al-Mutairi said he was arrested near Mazar-e-Sharif by followers of
anti-Taliban warlord Abdul-Rashid Dostum as he tried to leave the
country. He was thrown in the dungeon of Qala-e-Jangi fortress. Guards
took the prisoners into the yard the next day and shot at them.
Al-Mutairi said he suffered gunshot wounds in both thighs.
"We spent eight days in the dungeon standing in cold and filthy water
and I caught pneumonia," said al-Mutairi who walks with a limp.
Some prisoners were then taken to a hospital in Mazar-e-Sharif, and it
was there when he was arrested by American forces and transferred to
Kandahar, then flown to Guantanamo where he said half of his left lung
was removed because of the pneumonia. He also underwent physical
therapy for his legs.

On the U.S. Naval Base, he felt there was "a psychological war"
against prisoners. Food was rationed in small amounts. When prisoners
asked for seconds, guards threw the food out of the serving pans
instead of giving it to them, he said.
"They deliberately poured tea and left it to become cold before they
served it to us," he said on his first full day of freedom. "They
bothered me when I prayed by playing loud music or stamping their feet
hard beside me."

When an American officer told him after a military hearing that he was
going to be freed, al-Mutairi thought he was playing psychological games.
"I did not believe it until I saw the Kuwaiti delegation," he said,
smiling and shyly looking at the floor of the sitting room.
Eleven Kuwaitis are among more than 500 terror suspects from some 40
countries still held at Guantanamo.
Asked how he felt about his experience in Afghanistan and Guantanamo,
al-Mutairi said he felt "maybe some regret that I was too hasty to do
charity work on my own. It would have been better to have gone there
with a government organization."
de-jk

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM