http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44182-2005Apr11.html

Tycoon Decries Russia's 'Criminal Bureaucracy' as Trial Ends
In Impassioned Speech, Founder of Yukos Oil Tells Court He Worked for
Benefit of Country
By Peter Finn
Washington Post Foreign Service
Tuesday, April 12, 2005; Page A15

MOSCOW, April 11 -- Mikhail Khodorkovsky, the imprisoned Russian oil
tycoon, made an impassioned speech on the last day of his politically
tinged trial here Monday, blaming a "criminal bureaucracy" for jailing
him and defiantly refusing to ask the court for leniency.
"I will not seek the indulgence of the court because I worked for the
good of my country," Khodorkovsky, 41, said from the courtroom cage
where for nine months he has watched proceedings in a case alleging
tax evasion, fraud and embezzlement.

"I did not ruin the Soviet Union and Soviet industry," said
Khodorkovsky, who was Russia's wealthiest man when he went to jail. "I
was restoring it. . . . Dozens, hundreds of enterprises. Now they are
all working for the benefit of Russia. And though I am no longer their
co-owner, I am proud of that." The public benches in the small
courtroom, packed with supporters, erupted in applause when he
finished his 40-minute statement.

Prosecutors call the case against Khodorkovsky a necessary step to
rein in financial crime. But his supporters see the case, along with
the dismantling of his Yukos Oil Co. in a parallel tax case, as
Kremlin retaliation for Khodorkovsky's political activities and proof
that rule of law has yet to take hold in post-communist Russia.
Before his arrest in October 2003 by masked commandos who stormed his
private plane at an airport in Siberia, Khodorkovsky appeared to be
building a political identity in opposition to President Vladimir
Putin and had begun funding opposition groups.

Judge Irina Kolesnikova of the Moscow City Court said a verdict would
be announced on April 27. Khodorkovsky, along with his co-defendant
and business partner, Platon Lebedev, faces up to 10 years in prison
if found guilty of all the charges.

After Monday's court session, prosecutors dismissed Khodorkovsky's
speech, possibly his last public statement for years, as empty words.
"All the eloquence and rhetoric we heard in court today about
innocence and concern for the good of Russia were just words and
nothing more," said prosecutor Dmitri Shokhin, speaking to reporters.
"In almost a year of court hearings we have seen that a cynical,
impudent theft running to tens of billions of rubles lies behind all
of this. So we think huge damage has been inflicted on the state and
society, and on citizens in general."

Khodorkovsky was one of a handful of Russian businessmen known as
oligarchs who built fortunes by buying state facilities that were
privatized in hurried and often dubious transactions after the breakup
of the Soviet Union. Khodorkovsky built Yukos into a company that had
a market value of $40 billion, pumped a fifth of Russia's oil and was
praised by foreign business analysts for its adherence to Western
financial practices.

In addition to prosecuting Khodorkovsky, the government has reopened
the Yukos books and served it with bills for back taxes totaling $28
billion.

Last December, the company was gutted by the forced sale of its prime
asset, Yuganskneftegaz, a subsidiary that pumped more than a million
barrels of oil a day. That unit was acquired by a state-owned company,
Rosneft, which will merge this year with Gazprom, creating an energy
giant in which the state has majority control.

An analysis by Moscow-based Hermitage Capital Management found that
the case has apparently changed the tax practices of other companies.
The annual tax payments of major Russian energy companies, including
Lukoil and Sibneft, shot up after the state targeted Yukos, according
to the Hermitage analysis of the companies' financial statements.
"If it hadn't been Yukos, it would have been some other company
required to answer for its tax-evasion schemes," Igor Shuvalov, a
presidential aide, said in a speech last month. "No one wants another
Yukos affair, but if this is required in order to make companies pay
their taxes, the government will do it even at the cost of damaging
its own image."

Such damage is mostly international. There is little sympathy for
Khodorkovsky among the Russian public, where people are sometimes
unaware of his claims of political persecution. In one news broadcast
Monday night, on NTV, Khodorkovsky's speech was ignored; the station's
report focused almost exclusively on Shokhin's rebuttal, with a short
comment from one of Khodorkovsky's attorneys.

Fears that Yukos might be the first in a series of prosecutions
leading to the re-nationalization of some property has unsettled
investors. Capital flight jumped fivefold, to about $9.5 billion last
year, according to the Russian government. The Kremlin is now trying
to reassure investors that Yukos is an exceptional case.

"I insist on the fact that all the speculation on possible
preparations being made in Russia to review privatizations is without
any basis," Putin said Sunday in Germany, where he was attending the
opening of the Hanover trade fair. On Monday, Putin and Chancellor
Gerhard Schroeder announced a series of multibillion-dollar business
deals, including German involvement in the development and transit of
natural gas and the sale of high-speed trains to Russia.
"We understand well that the possibilities for industrial growth and
diversification depend directly on the level of economic freedom in
the country," Putin said.

But one of Putin's economic advisers, Andrei Illarionov, who has
spoken against some of his own government's actions in the past, said
on Monday that the country had much more to do to repair the damage
from the Yukos prosecution.

"The actions of the Russian authorities in 2003 and 2004 prompted many
in the world to wonder where Russia is heading," Illarionov said at
the Russian Economic Forum in London. "The authorities are taking
steps to offset the damage, but these steps aren't yet convincing
enough to offset it."

Prosecutors have also targeted key figures in the company, imprisoning
some and forcing others into exile. The Yukos security chief, Alexei
Pichugin, for instance, was sentenced to 20 years in prison last month
on charges of murder and attempted murder following a secret trial
that drew widespread condemnation abroad for its lack of openness.

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM