It is highly unlikely any impeachment inquiry will emanate from a
Republican majority Congress.

David Bier

http://rawstory.com/exclusives/alexandrovna/coalit
ion_inquiry_downing_street_memo_526

RESOLUTION OF INQUIRY
Coalition of citizen groups seek formal inquiry into whether Bush
acted illegally in push for Iraq war

By Larisa Alexandrovna | RAW STORY

A coalition of activist groups running the gamut of social and
political issues will ask Congress to file a Resolution of Inquiry,
the first necessary legal step to determine whether President Bush has
committed impeachable offenses in misleading the country about his
decision to go to war in Iraq, RAW STORY has learned.

The formal Resolution of Inquiry request, written by Boston
constitutional attorney John C. Bonifaz, cites the Downing Street Memo
and issues surrounding the planning and execution of the Iraq war. A
resolution of inquiry would force relevant House committees to vote on
the record as to whether to support an investigation.

The Downing Street Memo, official minutes of a 2002 meeting between
British Prime Minister Tony Blair, members of British intelligence
MI-6 and various members of the Bush administration, notes that MI-6
director Richard Dearlove said, “Bush wanted to remove Saddam,
through
military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD.
But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the
policy.”

Bonifaz says the minutes were the impetus for his request.

“The recent release of the Downing Street Memo provides new and
compelling evidence that the President of the United States has been
actively engaged in a conspiracy to deceive and mislead the United
States Congress and the American people,” Bonifaz wrote in a
memo to
the ranking House Judiciary Committee Democrat John Conyers (D-MI),
outlining the case (read his memo here).

Blair and other British officials have not questioned the
minutes’
veracity.

eighty-eight other members of Congress issued a letter to the White
House on May 5 requesting an explanation and answers to questions
about whether the President misled Congress into voting for the Iraq
war.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan waived off the letter,
saying he had “no need to respond,” according to the
New York Times.

Frustrated by the media’s silence, save a few articles buried
in major
American newspapers and pieces in the alternative media such as Air
America Radio, the Ed Schultz Show, Salon and RAW STORY, a grassroots
progressive movement has pushed the story forward, culminating in a
formal request for a Resolution of Inquiry.

Bonifaz wrote the request and outlined the case on behalf of a joint
effort by several groups, including: Veterans for Peace, Progressive
Democrats of America (PDA), 911Citizens Watch, Democracy Rising, Code
Pink, Global Exchange, Democrats.com, Velvet Revolution, and Gold Star
Families for Peace.

“The president, among other alleged crimes, may have also
violated
federal criminal law if the evidence from the Downing Street memo is
proven to be true, including the False Statements Accountability Act
of 1996,” Bonifaz wrote.

Some have criticized the media’s coverage of the memo.

"To me it's kind of the smoking gun, or maybe the latest in a number
of smoking guns,” Editor and Publisher senior editor Dave
Astor told
RAW RADIO Saturday. “And the fact that the media either didn't
cover
it or buried the coverage or poo-pooed it is appalling.”

“It goes back to the fact of who owns the media and the media
being
intimidated by this administration,” he added. “I think
that memo
indicates an impeachable offense, personally. If we had a Congress
that had some spine, and was maybe Democratic-controlled, it could be
an impeachable offense.”

Coalition member Medea Benjamin, founding director of Global Exchange,
said she supports legal proceedings.

“When a president so callously distorts the facts, manipulates
the
public and is responsible for so much needless death and destruction,
he must be held accountable,” Benjamin told RAW STORY.

Other members of the coalition, loosely titled “After Downing
Street,”
concur.

“We will be organizing the grassroots to demand Congress move
forward
with a Resolution of Inquiry,” PDA director Tim Carpenter
stated.

As part of Congressional approval for H.R.Res. 114; Authorization for
Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002, the
administration was required to report to Congress that diplomatic
options had been exhausted before or within 48 hours after military
action had started.

In a conversation with RAW STORY, Bonifaz expressed the disappointment
of many who put their faith in the President.

“Within 48 hours after the attack on Iraq, the president wrote
letter to Congress indicating that Iraq posed a serious and imminent
threat to national security and if he knew that was not true at the
time he submitted that letter it is a clear violation of the False
Statements Accountability Act of 1996,” Bonifaz said.

Under this Act, amending 18 U.S.C. § 1001, it is a crime
knowingly and
willfully (1) to falsify, conceal or cover up a material fact by
trick, scheme or device; (2) to make any materially false, fictitious,
or fraudulent statement or representation; or (3) to make or use any
false writing or document knowing it to contain any materially false,
fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry; with respect to matters
within the jurisdiction of the legislative, executive, or judicial
branch.

He goes on to discuss the other statutes and laws that may have been
violated, including but not limited to the Federal Anti-Conspiracy
Statute (more per above link).

When asked if the Inquiry of Resolution would apply to others involved
in the alleged effort to mislead the public into war, Bonifaz
explained that the procedure requires that a full inquiry begin from
the top of the chain of command.

“Provisions in U.S. Constitution guarantee that when a
President
abuses power, engages in excesses, and subverts the constitution, the
people have a recourse through their elected officials in
congress,”
he said.

Other member groups behind this coalition want that recourse.

We are "behind this resolution of inquiry because our loved ones were
killed for deception and betrayal from George Bush and the rest of the
administration," said Gold Star Families for Peace founder Cindy
Sheehan. "We would like to see George Bush, Dick Cheney, et al, be
held accountable for their lies and arrogance for sending our children
off to die in a war that is illegal and immoral."

“We support this resolution of inquiry because we stand for
truth and
accountability,” said co-founder of 911CitizensWatch Kyle
Hence. “It's
more important than ever as whistleblowers stand up and documents
emerge that point to potential crimes in high places all too often of
late veiled by government secrecy.”

Brad Friedman, co-founder of Velvet Revolution, agrees with the need
for transparency.

"We believe that a proper inquiry into the facts underlying the
Downing Street memo are vital to our constitutional democracy because
only Congress can declare war, and a President and his appointed
officials cannot be allowed to run the country if indeed they have
misled and lied about the basis for the Iraq war,” said
Friedman.

Bonifaz hopes the groups, which boast a total membership of several
million, are just the beginning of the grassroots groundswell.

The others agree.

“It is time for Congress to do its duty and ask: “Did
the
administration mislead us into war by manipulating and misstating
intelligence concerning weapons of mass destruction, suppressing
contrary intelligence …and exaggerated the danger Iraq posed to
the
United States and its neighbors?” said Kevin Zeese, founder of
Democracy Rising.

Bonifaz and others ask that citizens of all party affiliations and
backgrounds help support his request by writing to their Congressional
leaders. They are also seeking other groups to sign on.

More information will be up shortly at: http://www
.afterdowningstreet.org.

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM