http://www.kommersant.com/page.asp?id=580556

A Military Base Can Be Set Up at Osh

// Acting President of Kyrgyzstan Kurmanbek Bakiev talks to Kommersant
First Person

Acting President of Kyrgyzstan Kurmanbek Bakiev, who is resolutely
counting on winning the upcoming presidential elections in that
country, acknowledges the possibility of setting up a military base
near Osh in the south of Kyrgyzstan, under the auspices of the
Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) or the Shanghai
Cooperation Organization (SCO). He spoke about this with Interfax
correspondents Vladimir Kulikov and Igor Porshnev especially for
Kommersant.
You are entering the elections with associations with Felix Kulikov,
who will be prime minister if you win. Is that alliance tactical or
strategic?

That alliance can be seen as both tactical and strategic.

Before you decided to ally with Kulikov, some political scientists
were saying that the main fight in the upcoming election would be
representatives of the north and south of the country. What can be
said about that now?

Felix Kulikov and I formed an alliance mainly so as not to divide
Kyrgyzstan into North and South. My program is based on the wholeness
of Kyrgyzstan, the unity of the Kyrgyz people, by which I mean all the
nations and peoples living in Kyrgyzstan. I took that step to achieve
that goal and everyone has reacted positively to it. God willing, all
attempts to divide the republic will come to an end.

How do you see the chances of the other candidates in the election?
Can the new head of state be chosen in the first round?

I do not want to understate the chances of the other candidates, but I
have worked in Kyrgyzstan for a long time as an akim, the governor of
two regions and prime minister, I was twice elected to parliament, and
that people know me more. Nowhere I worked did I become entangled in
financial machinations or corruption. Therefore, after my alliance
with Felix Kulikov, I think the election can be decided in one round.

Can the current authorities guarantee fair and open elections and
prevent disorder caused bythose who won't be happy with the election
results?

Yes, it can. I am absolutely sure that the elections will proceed
fairly and honestly, in accordance with the Election Code, without the
unfair use of administrative resources. I am also certain that the
disorder caused by the parliamentary elections will not happen again.

If you win, will you be able to offer posts in the government or
presidential administration to your current opponents?

Everything will depend on who will run. And people need to meet
certain basic requirements: management experience, analytical
experience, an understanding of economic issues, an understanding of
the domestic politics of Kyrgyzstan and an ability to lead it. It only
looks like anyone who engages in politics can manage people and the
state. It is very responsible and difficult work.

Can the events in neighboring Uzbekistan have a negative influence on
relations between Bishkek and Tashkent? Who, in your opinion,
organized the disorder in Andijan?

The events in Uzbekistan cannot influence our relations for the simple
reason that, from the very beginning, the administration of Kyrgyzstan
has been doing everything it can so that Uzbek citizens feel alright
when they are in our territory. We provided first aid, help with food,
that is, provided basic human care. Therefore, relations between
Bishkek and Tashkent cannot be spoiled. I think that, most likely,
religious extremism, which is rising in Central Asia, is behind the
disorder.

What efforts are the authorities prepared to make to counteract
Islamic extremism in Kyrgyzstan?

Yes, unfortunately, there are hotbeds in Kyrgyzstan, although they are
not now as active or aggressive as in the neighboring state.
Sometimes, unfortunately, Islam and the Koran are interpreted
differently, especially by the ignorant. The special services have to
work with those people, and our spiritual leaders, and highly educated
spiritual people.

Former Kyrgyz president Askar Akaev stated in an interview that among
the organizers of the mass opposition at the end of March were drug
lords. He said that the new leadership of the republic is
“practically
a hostage of the narcotics mafia” and drug transport through
Kyrgyzstan is “now open.” What do you say?

Drug trafficking existed before Akaev, during Akaev and it exists now.
Narcotics came from Afghanistan through border states and they still
do. It cannot be tied to the people's revolution.

Will a military base be set up in the town of Osh? What will be the
fate of the existing bases " the Russian base at Kant and the
American
base at Manas Airport?

If it is necessary, a military base can be set up at Osh under the
auspices of the CSTO or the SCO. The airbase at Kant will exist as
long as it is needed, under previous agreements. The American airbase
at Manas Airport will fulfill its function under agreements previously
reached between the United States and Kyrgyzstan.

Russian Article as of May 26, 2005

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM