_____

From: Heyman, Ed [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 12:32 AM
To: Zidenberg, Eric; Bill NoVA Pollack (E-mail) (E-mail); Bob Bowman; bruce
tefft; Burch, Christa; D'Andrea, Mike; Dempsey, Linda; Gates, Tom; Larry
White; lyons; McClave, Jim; Morris, Bill; Morris, Todd;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Sowell, Charles; Stinson,
James; Wagner, Mike; Tim Campen; Hatte Blejer; Phil Pounds
Subject: West infiltrates al-Qa'eda message boards in the war on terror

West infiltrates al-Qa'eda message boards in the war on terror
By Aqeel Hussein in Ramadi, Saleh Al Jibouri and Colin Freeman
(Filed: 29/05/2005)

Before Abu Dajeneh drove out of the world to martyrdom in an Iraqi car bomb,
he prayed, read the Koran and even sent a final email.

On an internet message board for al-Qa'eda affiliates, he said farewell to
his comrades and that he looked forward to their next meeting, not in
cyberspace, but Paradise.

The al-Qa'eda message board

The al-Qa'eda message board

"We will ask each other: 'Are you such-and-such who used to write Allah the
Almighty! in such-and-such a message board?" he wrote. "It will be a great
day when we reach it."

Western terror officials have been monitoring al-Qa'eda message boards for
two years, sifting postings about beheadings, suicide bombs and kidnappings.

Last week, their attention focused on the claim that Abu Musab Al Zarqawi,
who is accused of beheading the British hostage Kenneth Bigley and
masterminding the bloody insurgency, had been badly injured in a shoot out
with American troops.

According to one posting, purporting to be from his official spokesman,
Zarqawi was spirited out of Iraq after being treated in a hospital in
Ramadi, an insurgent stronghold.

Rita Katz, a US terrorism expert who monitors jihadi websites, said that the
claim had the ring of truth. "There is only one source of proper information
on al-Qa'eda operations in Iraq. If it does not come from him, it is not
authentic," she said.

"We are fairly sure that Zarqawi was injured as this was on a board used by
his official spokesman, Abu Maysarah al-Iraqi."

Ms Katz is the director of the Washington-based SITE Institute, which tracks
international terror activity. Its Arabic speakers analyse terrorist sites
and pass intelligence to law enforcement agencies.

Genuine postings, Ms Katz says, appear only on hidden message boards that
are password-protected, and whose members know each other so well that they
can spot a hacker. Many, nonetheless, have been infiltrated by SITE.

Each board is controlled by a webmaster who will accept postings in the name
of Zarqawi only from a known email address. "Abu Maysarah emails the message
to the webmaster, who recognises his email address and is the only one with
authority to post the message," Ms Katz said.

"al-Qa'eda in Iraq also watches closely for false messages, and will correct
them straightaway." Last week, Abu Maysarah's rapid rebuttal unit was in
action within minutes to deny a report on another internet site that a
deputy had been nominated for Zarqawi.

One way to establish which message boards are genuine is to cross-check
claims about terrorist acts. In March, Hasan Abdul Rahman, an Egyptian
student, apparently carried out a suicide bombing in Baquba, north-west of
Baghdad. Telephone numbers for his family were posted on a board for users
to call and congratulate them.

Speaking from Egypt, Rahman's brother confirmed that he had gone to Iraq on
jihad. "He brought honour to my family. We are hoping he will go to paradise
because he fought the Americans who should be forced out of Muslim
countries."

US records show that a car bomb killed five soldiers at a checkpoint near
Baquba on March 17. Ms Katz believes that reports of Zarqawi's injuries are
equally likely to be real. "I think his followers feel it is time to prepare
for his possible death and begin the hunt for a successor."

In Ramadi, locals backed up the message board claims. At the Al Rahma
Mosque, frequented by resistance fighters, Friday prayers were devoted to
appeals for Zarqawi's speedy recovery.

A man who identified himself as Abu Huzayfa, Ramadi's al-Qa'eda spokesman,
said: "Abu Musab has been injured and is leading us from his bed. But there
are thousands of Zarqawis here among us. We will never give up."

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM