http://www.miaminewtimes.com/issues/2005-06-02/news/kulchur.html

>From miaminewtimes.com
Originally published by Miami New Times 2005-06-02
©2005 New Times, Inc. All rights reserved.

Terror Alert, Miami Style
Clandestine meetings and a hungry press
By Brett Sokol

AP WIDEWORLD

Posada at his media circus: "Look at my face. Do I look like a monster?"

As journalistic flareups go, it was hardly on the scale of Newsweek igniting
a fresh round of Middle Eastern jihad. Still the May 17 secret press
conference and subsequent arrest of legendary anti-Castro militant Luis
Posada Carriles was a classic, only-in-Miami media moment, one in which a
flock of reporters hungry for a "War on Terror" scoop collided head-on with
the White House's persistent wooing of South Florida's Cuban-exile
community.

Posada himself, at age 77, is a walking slice of Cold War history, better
suited to a Graham Greene novel than a dispassionate newspaper account.
Declassified U.S. government documents portray a Cuban exile who trained for
the ill-fated 1961 Bay of Pigs invasion and quickly landed on the CIA's
payroll, an "asset" running covert operations against Fidel Castro
throughout the Caribbean, while still finding time to procure explosives for
former Las Vegas mobster Frank "Lefty" Rosenthal.

By the Seventies, U.S. policy may have settled into a state of uneasy
coexistence with Castro, but not Posada, who is believed to be the
mastermind of the 1976 midair bombing of a Cuban airliner that killed 73
people. Imprisoned in Venezuela for that crime, he escaped in 1985,
rejoining the CIA in El Salvador in their contra war against Nicaragua's
Sandinistas. Posada hardly slowed down for the Nineties, taking credit in a
1998 New York Times profile for planning a series of bombings in Havana
hotels that killed a visiting Italian -- an effort to stifle tourism there.
Jailed in Panama in 2000 for yet another bombing plot against Castro, he was
pardoned in 2004, eventually slipping into Miami this past March, where his
attorney announced he'd be applying for political asylum.

Posada's welcome was anything but warm though. While the Cuban and
Venezuelan governments angrily demanded his extradition, editorial pages
around the country bristled at the notion of offering Posada sanctuary,
sourly noting the ease with which he apparently crossed the border and
avoided Homeland Security. ABC News's Ted Koppel opined on Nightline that in
a post-9/11 environment, "when the U.S. is leading the global war against
terrorism, it cannot appear to show tolerance for a man with Posada's
background, even though he once worked for the CIA."

Although publicly skeptical that Posada was living underground in Miami,
Bush administration officials were quietly reaching out to exile leaders
here, attempting to gauge the reaction to deporting him. Was one man's
terrorist -- at least in the eyes of that crucial Cuban-exile voting bloc --
another man's freedom fighter? "I believe they wanted a sounding board,"
state Rep. David Rivera told the Miami Herald of the Bush staffers who'd
called him (and whom he refused to identify).

Journalists, meanwhile, feverishly scrambled for an interview with the
elusive Posada. Jeffrey Kofman, ABC News correspondent for Florida and Latin
America, spent several weeks in tortured negotiations with Miami developer
Santiago Alvarez, alternately described as Posada's "friend" or
"benefactor," and, most significant, owner of the boat on which Posada was
allegedly smuggled from Mexico to Miami. (Posada claims a paid coyote guided
him across the Texas border.)

"Very clearly, Alvarez's people wanted to humanize him. They told me that.
Their objective was to let people see he's not the Devil," Kofman explains
to Kulchur. But Alvarez was insisting on no pictures, only audio (a bit of a
liability for a television interview), and on certain subjects being
off-limits. "They were struggling for a way to make this only a positive
story and not to address the more difficult questions. And it's my job to
ask those tough questions. No one's going to tell us as journalists what we
can put in a story. "

It was the Herald that landed the exclusive chat with Posada on May 11 at an
unidentified Brickell Key condo. The resulting front-page story made it
impossible for the U.S. government to continue pretending Posada wasn't in
Miami. Strangely, however, in a fugitive-abetting move that appeared to
indicate some horse-trading with Alvarez, the Herald's story was held from
print until May 17 -- the same day Alvarez told Kofman and other reporters
he planned to whisk Posada out of the country, away from U.S. immigration
officials and the threat of deportation to Venezuela. (The Herald story was
reported by Alfonso Chardy and Oscar Corral, both of whom declined to
comment on any dealings with Alvarez, referring questions to Herald city
editor Manny Garcia, who did not return two telephone calls.)

But before this disappearing act, Alvarez had planned one last bold PR
gambit: a clandestine May 17 news conference featuring Posada and a handful
of invited press -- this even as federal authorities finally crawled into
action, subpoenaing the New York Times for its 1998 Posada interview tapes.

At the New York Times's Miami bureau, reporter Abby Goodnaugh recalls
Alvarez's phone call to her: "'You have to play by our rules'; that was the
exact phrase he used." As Alvarez laid out his scheme, which seemed to be
lifted from an old spy flick, Goodnaugh says she thought, "This is nuts." A
driver would pick her up at a prearranged rendezvous point and take her to a
secret location where Posada would wait. She would be allowed only two
questions, and neither could address the 1997 Havana hotel bombings. Any
cameras had to be submitted to Alvarez's people 24 hours in advance; they'd
be handed back at the secret meeting, presumably after they'd been inspected
for hidden tracking devices.

"It didn't feel ethically comfortable to me," Goodnaugh says. "I talked to
my editor in New York about it and we decided we don't play by that kind of
rigid term-setting." Did Alvarez demand she wear a blindfold for the car
ride? Goodnaugh laughs, "It wasn't a safety issue. I wasn't worried about
being kidnapped. I just felt like I was becoming an accessory to their stunt
move." Her story the next day noted she'd refused to attend the press
conference "because of the terms, which included being driven by Mr.
Posada's associates to an undisclosed location and agreeing to ask questions
only on certain topics."

The Chicago Tribune's Gary Marx received the same offer from Alvarez but
took a different tack. "I didn't think twice about the ground rules," he
says. "A suspected terrorist-in-hiding agreeing to meet with reporters? What
more can you say?" Marx promptly flew to Miami from Havana, where he's
stationed as the Tribune's Latin-American correspondent. "I also have enough
experience to know that ground rules often break down when reporters begin
firing questions. Officials refuse all the time to answer questions, so my
view was that it would be no big deal if we asked Posada about the hotel
bombing and he refused to answer."

For Marx the experience was more surreal than menacing. The morning of May
17 he was bundled into an SUV outside his Miami hotel, along with a CNN crew
and a Sun-Sentinel reporter. Cell phones were confiscated; then they were
driven to a cavernous Hialeah warehouse, where "a half-dozen beefy guys" in
dark sunglasses guarded the door. After the rest of the twenty or so invited
reporters had been delivered to the warehouse from various sites around town
-- and camera equipment collected the day before had been returned to the TV
crews -- Posada entered. Nattily attired in a white summer suit and navy
tie, Marx felt he looked "more like a Florida retiree than a feared
terrorist."

True to Marx's hunch, the gathering soon became a free-for-all, almost
comically so. Sitting calmly behind an old wooden table, an interpreter at
his side and Alvarez hovering nearby, Posada began by insisting that
morning's Herald interview with him was based on an "off the record"
conversation. Then, calling the 1976 airline bombing "abominable," he
brandished a lie-detector test that supposedly cleared him of any
involvement in it. He was no terrorist, he offered earnestly: "My only
objective is to fight for the freedom of my country."

But members of the press corps were growing restless with Posada -- and with
each other. As one reporter began bantering with Posada in rapid-fire
Spanish, several Anglo TV correspondents groaned, turning frantic in their
quest for usable sound bites. "We need it in English!" hollered one
repeatedly, though Posada was virtually unintelligible in any language. A
1990 assassination attempt in Guatemala (Posada blames Cuban agents) had
sent bullets slicing through his jaw and tongue, leaving his speech little
more than a gravelly rasp. Eventually Posada mustered a solid English quip,
only to have the roar of a nearby passing train drown him out.

Kofman waded into the muddled fray with his question -- the strictly
forbidden one -- but he was barely able to utter the words "hotel bombings"
before Alvarez cut him off. "We're answering questions about the planes only
and about this situation here," he snapped as Posada sat mutely. Kofman
pressed on and Alvarez shot back that his questions were "not relevant."

Kofman, who says he never agreed to any query restrictions, recalls this
back-and-forth as truly bizarre. "If he's going to talk about his
involvement in alleged terrorist acts, he can't pick the ones he talks
about: 'I'll tell you about this bombing but not that one.' They're trying
to protect him like he's a pop star." Kofman was also distressed by the
behavior of CNN's Susan Candiotti, who chose to deploy Oprah Winfrey's warm
and fuzzy approach, gently asking Posada: "Are you a monster?"

"Look at my face," Posada replied, smiling at Candiotti as laughter broke
out. "Do I look like a monster?"

The exchange made Kofman cringe. "If you've covered, as I have, stories of
war criminals, old people never look like they've done horrible things," he
says. "But that doesn't mean in their past, when they were younger and more
spry, they haven't been capable of horrendous things. [Posada] looks very
dapper in his linen suit, and he showed a sense of humor. He can be a
charming man to spend time with. But that isn't the reason we're there. The
reason we're there is that this is a man who has been implicated in
terrorist acts, who has publicly admitted to his involvement in terrorist
acts, and who is trying to get residency in a country that says it has no
room for anyone with a terrorist past. That's the issue."

  _____

In the end, Alvarez's cloak-and-dagger maneuvers came to naught. Two hours
after the media circus, as Posada was packing his belongings in a safe house
and preparing to leave the country, he was nabbed by federal agents. He's
now being held at a detention center in El Paso, Texas, awaiting a June 13
hearing.

Yet the proverbial other shoe never dropped. That feared explosion from el
exilio on the streets of Little Havana? It never materialized.

Not that there wasn't a reservoir of support for Posada. A host of
reporters, from National Public Radio to the Toronto Star, dutifully made
the de rigueur trek to that old-school symbol of cubanismo, the sidewalk
coffee window at Calle Ocho's Versailles restaurant, where they found plenty
of kind words for Posada and pleas to leave the elderly anti-Castrista be.

Fidel Castro certainly played out his part of the mass-hysteria script,
labeling Bush a "fascist," decrying the "Miami Mafia," and comparing Posada
to Osama bin Laden as he led a so-called "volunteer" march of hundreds of
thousands of protesters in Havana. Adding a dash of intrigue, he read aloud
a private 1998 letter from author Gabriel García Márquez that detailed the
author's role as a back-channel envoy between Castro and President Bill
Clinton on the Posada matter.

On this side of the Florida Straits, however, folks weren't taking the bait.
Beyond a few hotheads, sympathy for Posada remained just that -- a lingering
soft spot for a man and a philosophy whose time had clearly passed. "As
reporters we have to get beyond the stereotype that certain places like
Versailles restaurant play into," ABC's Kofman argues. "Yes, people were
watching to see if this was going to be another Elian, but this is a
different community now."

That difference was on display exactly one week after Posada was grabbed by
the feds. As the aging cold warrior sat in a Texas lockup, Miami Mayor Manny
Diaz delivered his state-of-the-city address. Yet Diaz, an attorney who
gained local fame representing Elian Gonzalez's Miami relatives during their
custody battle and who rode that notoriety into office in 2001, didn't
mention Castro or Cuba once in his entire 2300-word speech. And unlike his
mayoral predecessor, he didn't refer to his opponents as likely communist
agents.

Diaz did name-check José Martí, but not in the nineteenth-century Cuban
poet's traditional role of prefacing a directive to liberate la patria.
Instead Diaz invoked Martí as a call to eliminate Miami's "sad distinction"
as one of the poorest cities in America. Elsewhere in America it might be
old news that a mayor would promise to concentrate on curing his city's ills
instead of worrying about some foreign land. But in Miami, it's downright
revolutionary.

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM