Right..."urge" away.

Bruce

Iraq Urges Syria to Halt Terrorist Flow Across its
Border

By Peter Heinlein
VOA NEWS
United Nations

Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari says Syria must
do more to halt the flow of foreign terrorists to
Iraq. Mr. Zebari's pledged to the Security Council
that Iraq would not give in to the campaign of
violence being waged against his government.

Foreign Minister Zebari came to the Security Council
Monday to express Iraq's gratitude for the continued
presence of the U.S.-led multinational force. He
indicated the 160,000-strong force would be needed for
the foreseeable future.

At the same time, the minister voiced concern that
Syria continues to allow its territory to be used as a
point of entry by extremists on their way to Iraq to
join the insurgency. He urged Damascus to stop the
flow of what he called "foreign terrorists."

"We have learned recently that Syria has stopped more
than a thousand foreign fighters from entering Iraq
from Syria," Mr. Zebari said. "We welcome this action
but note that it confirms our long-held view that
Syria has been one of the main transit routes for
foreign terrorists, as well as for remnants of the
previous regime."

Syria's U.N. ambassador Feyssal Mekhdad has in the
past denied that Damascus allows insurgents en route
to Iraq to use its territory.

In his speech to the Security Council Monday, the
Iraqi minister, Mr. Zebari also chided the United
Nations for not doing more to help Iraq's political
transition. The world body has been slow to return
international staff to Iraq after the August 2003
bombing of U.N. headquarters in Baghdad citing
security concerns. Speaking to VOA afterward, Mr.
Zabari said U.N. officials should immediately dispatch
experts to help in organizing two elections scheduled
this year.

"There are certain responsibilities and obligations on
the U.N. to facilitate, to play a leading role in this
political process," he said. "We see sometimes delays,
we had January elections, they had electoral advisor
who did exemplary work to assist our independent
electoral commission. He has gone, he has fulfilled
his mission. We have two elections, one a referendum
coming up in October and another general elect in
December and still we don't have an electoral adviser
to the commission."

The Iraqi minister is to press his case Wednesday
during a meeting with Secretary-General Kofi Annan.
Afterward, he will head for Washington and talks with
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and other senior
U.S. officials.

Mr. Zebari told reporters he plans to press Secretary
Rice for increased security assistance.

"I'll be honest, there is some anxiety that we need
continued engagement of the U.S. in this process," he
said. "For us this is important, and the other thing
for us is to accelerate the training, buildup of these
forces. There are many efforts being exerted, but
speed is of the essence."

Also addressing the Security Council Monday, acting
U.S. Ambassador Anne Patterson said there is no
specific timetable for withdrawing the multinational
force in Iraq. She said the troops would not remain
any longer than necessary, but would also not leave
until the Iraqis could meet the security challenges
they face.

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM