If only they were.

Bruce

Security agencies target Muslims with aggressive tactics, group claims@
By Jim Bronskill@
OTTAWA
(CP) _ Federal security agencies use unacceptable intimidation tactics
during investigations, from visits at work to threats of arrest under the
anti-terror law, says a group representing Muslims.

The Canadian Council on American-Islamic Relations accused the RCMP and
Canadian Security Intelligence Service of aggressive behaviour, intrusive
questioning and discouraging interviewees from having a lawyer present.

The Mounties and CSIS insisted Wednesday they respect the rights of
minorities.

A survey released by the council revealed that of the 467 people who
responded, eight per cent _ most of them young, Arab males _ said they had
been visited by either the RCMP or CSIS since the terrorist attacks of Sept.
11, 2001.

Almost half who had received calls said it made them feel fearful, anxious
and nervous, while about one-quarter said they felt harassed and
discriminated against.

"It's safe to say that the overall consequence has been one of alienation,
loss of trust in our security agencies and civic cynicism," said Riad
Saloojee, the council's executive director.

"The results are quite alarming."

The council wants Public Safety Minister Anne McLellan and Justice Minister
Irwin Cotler to investigate.

The responses were gathered through the council's Internet site as well as
the distribution of surveys at mosques and Muslim events.

Morshed Abul Ala, a website developer and part-time student in Mississauga,
Ont., said RCMP national security investigators pressured him in March 2002
to attend a meeting even though he had an exam.

When Abul Ala refused, the Mounties repeatedly called his cell phone during
the exam, he told a news conference Wednesday.

Abul Ala, 25, said that when he did meet the RCMP, he asked what would
happen if he didn't speak with them. He says the police replied that the
Anti-Terrorism Act could be used to force him to co-operate.

"I'm from Bangladesh where, when security agents come to you, it's something
serious," he said.

"At the end, I felt like my rights had been violated because when I asked
for a lawyer they told me, `You don't need one.'"

Abul Ala said the RCMP tried to recruit him as a paid informant, an offer he
rejected.

The council's report says some respondents were asked by security agents "in
an intimidating manner" to gather information on others.

"For example, one respondent reported that when he refused to become an
informant, the security official then abruptly ended the interview and
proceeded to recite the names of the respondent's children and several other
pieces of personal information."

One person said he was 16 years old when questioned by CSIS officers, who
told him not to let his parents know.

Others reported being asked about topics such as their loyalty to Canada,
why they owned extensive property, their interest in martial arts and their
level of commitment to Islam.

The report says Canadian Muslims "share the common objective" of ensuring
Canada remains safe and secure. However, they believe security can be
attained only by treating people with dignity, free of harassment or
discrimination, the report adds.

Alex Swann, a spokesman for McLellan, said she has asked her officials to
review the report.

"All federal security agencies must work within the law," he said, adding
that people can complain to the review agencies that oversee CSIS and the
RCMP.

Saloojee said many people were too afraid to lodge a protest.

"Documenting these reports has been extremely difficult. It has been, quite
frankly, like pulling teeth," he said. "People are very concerned, very
scared, very anxious, very insecure about coming forward."

Barbara Campion, a CSIS spokeswoman, said she had heard such allegations of
reluctance in the past. "I haven't seen anything to back them up, and the
service as a whole hasn't seen anything to back them up."

CSIS policy requires officers to tell interviewees that their participation
is strictly voluntary. Officers also must take into consideration religious
beliefs, and human rights and privacy concerns.

"We don't threaten people," Campion said.

Cpl. Monique Beauchamp, an RCMP spokeswoman, said the force is committed to
respecting all people. The Mounties are reviewing the report, she added.

Cotler noted the government is examining the broad question of race-based
issues and justice. "I will not brook any discriminatory treatment in
matters of law and the administration of justice in this country."

The government recently set up a roundtable on cultural issues and national
security.

Saloojee said it is too early to gauge its usefulness.
050608 215113

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM