House Resolution 288: Protect the Christians and Jews, Too!

By Laura Mansfield

I think US Congressman John Conyers (D-MI) has a wonderful idea!

In case you've missed it, several weeks ago Congressman Conyers introduced a
bill in the House of Representatives calling for the Quran to be treated
with respect, and stating explicitly that "believers of all religions,
including the Abrahamic faiths of Christianity, Judaism and Islam, should be
treated with respect and dignity".

In fact, I think its such a good idea that reciprocal resolutions should be
adopted simultaneously by the governments of Saudi Arabia, Syria, Egypt,
Pakistan, Jordan, and all other Islamic countries, with a few minor
additions. Imagine the repercussions on the streets of Riyadh, or Damascus,
or Cairo, if the government announced such an action!

Let's take a look at the modifications that would cause such an uproar.

The original resolution is in italics. My suggested revisions are in bold
italics.

Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives condemning bigotry and
religious intolerance, and recognizing that holy books of every religion
should be treated with dignity and respect.

Whereas believers of all religions, including the Abrahamic faiths of
Christianity, Judaism and Islam, should be treated with respect and dignity;

Whereas the word Islam comes from the Arabic root word meaning "peace" and
"submission";

Whereas there are an estimated 7,000,000 Muslims in America, from a wide
variety of ethnic backgrounds, forming an integral part of the social fabric
of America; an estimated 8,000,000 Jews in America, from a wide variety of
ethnic backgrounds, forming an integral part of the social fabric of
America; and an estimated 225,000,000 (over 93% of the population)
Christians in America, from a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds, forming an
integral part of the social fabric of America:

Whereas the Quran is the holy book for Muslims who recite passages from it
in prayer and learn valuable lessons about peace, humanity and spirituality;
the Torah is the holy book for Jews who recite passages from it in prayer
and learn valuable lessons about peace, humanity and spirituality; and the
Bible is the holy book for Christians who recite passages from it in prayer
and learn valuable lessons about peace, humanity and spirituality;

Whereas it should never be official policy of the United States Government
to disparage the Quran, Islam, the Torah, Judaism, the Bible, Christianity,
or any religion in any way, shape, or form;

Whereas mistreatment of prisoners and disrespect toward the holy book of any
religion is unacceptable and against civilized humanity;

Whereas the infringement of an individual's right to freedom of religion
violates the Constitution and laws of the United States: Now, therefore, be
it

1 Resolved, That the House of Representatives-

(1) condemns bigotry, acts of violence, and intolerance against any
religious group, including our friends, neighbors, and citizens of the
Islamic, Jewish, and Christian faith;

(2) declares that the civil rights and civil liberties of all individuals,
including those of the Islamic, Jewish, and Christian faith, should be
protected;

(3) recognizes that the Quran, the holy book of Islam, as any other holy
book of any religion, should be treated with dignity and respect; recognizes
that the Torah, the holy book of Judiasm, as any other holy book of any
religion, should be treated with dignity and respect; recognizes that the
Bible, the holy book of Christianity, as any other holy book of any
religion, should be treated with dignity and respect; and

(4) calls upon local, State, and Federal authorities to work to prevent
bias-motivated crimes and acts against all individuals, including those of
the Islamic faith, those of the Jewish faith, and those of the Christian
faith.

I also suggest that Congress make the resolution only take effect when a
similar resolution, protecting ALL Abrahamic religions is adopted by the
governments of the Islamic nations, including but not limited to Saudi
Arabia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Jordan, Iraq, and Egypt. After
all, they claim the Quran protects Christians and Jews as Dar ul Kuttab,
which translates as People of the Book.

Of course, that is not likely to happen. The streets of Islamic world would
erupt in violence almost instantly if their governments adopted such a
resolution.

The Council on American Islamic relations has posted an action alert
supporting the original resolution. An excerpt from their action alert, as
posted on the CAIR website, says:

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) has called for people of
conscience to support a resolution that:

"recognizes that the Qur'an as any other holy book of any religion, should
be treated with dignity and respect." To be introduced by Rep. John Conyers
(D-MI), the resolution also "condemns bigotry and intolerance against any
religious group, including our friends, neighbors and citizens of the
Islamic faith." "This resolution expresses America's respect for the holy
texts of all faiths. If passed, it will also reiterate our nation's
condemnation of bigoted behavior and religious intolerance," said Corey
Saylor, CAIR's government affairs director.

CAIR asks that individuals contact their Representative in the U.S. House
and request that they support the Conyers resolution.

I propose that everyone contact their resolution, and ask that the
resolution be accepted with the changes I have proposed.

One additional problem I have with the statement is this phrase:

Whereas the word Islam comes from the Arabic root word meaning "peace" and
"submission";

I submit to Congressman Conyers that he has just summed up the goals of the
Islamists quite succinctly. If we want peace with the Islamic world, we must
submit to their beliefs.

Let me remind Congressman Conyers of the words of a US Olympics athlete at
the 1908 Olympics games in London. U.S. flag bearer and discus champion
Martin Sheridan refused to dip the Stars and Stripes when he passed King
Edward VII's box in the parade of athletes.

"This flag dips to no earthly king," Sheridan said, beginning a tradition
that has lasted to this day.

It is time that we remember the words of Sheridan.

The Stars and Stripes dips to no earthly king.

The complete text of House Resolution 288 (HR288) follows:

Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives condemning bigotry and
religious intolerance, and recognizing that holy books of every religion
should be treated with dignity and respect.

Whereas believers of all religions, including the Abrahamic faiths of
Christianity, Judaism and Islam, should be treated with respect and dignity;

Whereas the word Islam comes from the Arabic root word meaning "peace" and
"submission";

Whereas there are an estimated 7,000,000 Muslims in America, from a wide
variety of ethnic backgrounds, forming an integral part of the social fabric
of America;

Whereas the Quran is the holy book for Muslims who recite passages from it
in prayer and learn valuable lessons about peace, humanity and spirituality;

Whereas it should never be official policy of the United States Government
to disparage the Quran, Islam, or any religion in any way, shape, or form;

Whereas mistreatment of prisoners and disrespect toward the holy book of any
religion is unacceptable and against civilized humanity;

Whereas the infringement of an individual's right to freedom of religion
violates the Constitution and laws of the United States: Now, therefore, be
it

1 Resolved, That the House of Representatives-

(1) condemns bigotry, acts of violence, and intolerance against any
religious group, including our friends, neighbors, and citizens of the
Islamic

(2) declares that the civil rights and civil liberties of all individuals,
including those of the Islamic faith, should be protected;

(3) recognizes that the Quran, the holy book of Islam, as any other holy
book of any religion, should be treated with dignity and respect; and

(4) calls upon local, State, and Federal authorities to work to prevent
bias-motivated crimes and acts against all individuals, including those of
the Islamic faith.

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM