Freedom of speech and thought clearly will take second place to Islamic
propaganda.  Note who is pushing these laws.

Bruce

New effort to ban religious hate

BBC

June 09, 2005

Controversial plans to make incitement to religious hatred illegal have been
unveiled by the government.

The new offence gives equal protection to all faiths. Jews and Sikhs are
already covered by race hate laws.

Critics say the reintroduced plans - which cover words or behaviour intended
or likely to stir up religious hatred - will stifle free speech.

Ministers insist the new law would not affect "criticism, commentary or
ridicule of faiths".

'Preserve tolerance'

The Racial and Religious Hated Bill would create a new offence of incitement
to religious hatred and would apply to comments made in public or in the
media, as well as through written material.

The aim is to protect people from incitement to hatred against them because
of their faith.

But ministers insist it will not ban people - including artists and
performers - from offending, criticising or ridiculing faiths.

Home Office Minister Paul Goggins said: "It is about protecting the
believer, not the belief."

It will not rule out criticism of religion, or outlaw the telling of
religious jokes

Paul Goggins
Home Office Minister

Mr Goggins said he did not expect many prosecutions under the new laws, but
said it was important for Parliament to send out a clear message.

He said: "This will be a line in the sand which indicates to people a line
beyond which they cannot go...

"People of all backgrounds and faiths have a right to live free from hatred,
racism and extremism."

Mr Goggins said police had told him they believed the new law could have
prevented some of the riots in northern English towns in 2001.

Lords opposition?

Religious hatred is defined in the Bill as "hatred against a group of
persons defined by reference to religious belief or lack of religious
belief" - showing it will also cover atheists.

The maximum penalty for anybody convicted of the new offence would be seven
years imprisonment.

Mr Goggins said there was a "high test" and the attorney general would also
be able to veto any prosecutions.

Race hatred laws had resulted in 76 people being prosecuted in nearly 20
years, with 44 convictions.

Followers of different religions will be allowed to criticise each other

Daniel Sandford
BBC correspondent

 <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3873323.stm> Q&A: Religious hatred laws

 <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4077754.stm> Do we need the law?

The plans are exactly the same as those opposed in the House of Lords before
the general election, with some peers claiming it could put freedom of
speech at risk.

This time they form a stand alone Bill, instead of being part of a much
bigger Bill.

Mr Goggins refused to say whether ministers would use the Parliament Act to
force the plans through the Lords but he stressed Labour had promised the
new laws in its election manifesto.

Conservative shadow Home Secretary David Davis said the proposed law would
"seriously undermine freedom of speech" and would be "massively
counter-productive".

"Religion, unlike race, is a matter of personal choice and therefore
appropriate for open debate," he argued.

Aggravated crimes against religious groups were already protected through
existing legislation, he said.

"Whilst this new law would technically prevent what many people may regard
as reasonable criticism of devil worshippers and religious cults."

Liberal Democrat MP Evan Harris argued the plans would jeopardise precious
freedom of expression.

"The government's measure would stifle religious debate and feed an
increasing climate of censorship," he said.

Dr Harris said his party recognised the problem of Islamophobia. He proposed
changes to ensure religious words could not be used to get around race hate
laws.

Freedom of speech

The government says the legislation is a response to the concerns of faith
groups, particularly Muslims.

The Muslim Council of Britain has welcomed the move, arguing that the courts
have already extended such protection to Sikh and Jewish people.

Sher Khan, a council spokesman, said to protect some groups but not others
contravened the European human rights laws.

"This is not protection of faith, it is a protection of those who are
attached to a particular identity marker," Mr Khan said.

Keith Porteous Wood, of the National Secular Society, also said the
legislation would curtail free expression.

Similar laws in Australia had stirred up tensions between different
religious groups, he argued.

BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford said some British Muslims
believed religions must be allowed to criticise each other, and that the
proposed new law could open a Pandora's box of prosecutions between faiths.

Actor Rowan Atkinson was among those to have spoken out against the proposed
new law, arguing comedians could be at risk of prosecution for lampooning
religious figures.

  _____

Send us your comments on the form below

Whilst welcoming a change in the law to protect faith communities from
'religious hate crime'; the statute must clearly allow for both theological
and secular disagreement. Without very clear definitions there is a real
danger of opportunistic abuse. Could those intolerant to the opinions and
beliefs of others assume 'victim' status and pursue legal action?
Jon Cooke, Cardiff

If protecting some religious groups but not others contravenes the European
Convention on Human Rights, where does that leave our archaic blasphemy
laws, not to mention legislation governing the relationship between the
established Church of England and the State?
Geoff Thomason, Stockport, Cheshire

I really don't understand the fear of those who think the legislation would
curtail freedom of speech. It's only aims at protecting people against
religious hatred.
Farouk, Grand Quevilly, France

Unfortunately, anyone who is really intent on stirring up intolerance will
probably continue to do so - they will just find other ways. Perhaps it
would be better to identify the root causes of intolerance and tackle those.
Nicola, Bristol

More new laws? I thought we already had laws to combat threatening language
and behaviour. On the surface I'm sure this appears to be a sensible law.
But I suspect it will another nail in the coffin of free speech.
Rhett Pomfret, Colne, United Kingdom

Surely to stop religious hatred what we need is more respect for one
another? That can't be changed simply through another piece of legislation.
Josh, Salisbury, UK

About time the government has taken the obvious step that should have been
taken along time ago that all religions and faiths are protected by the law
equally... still can't understand why it has taken this long, but a welcome
move nevertheless.
Shahid, Notts, UK

A legal hot potato and likely to be very difficult to implement. This law
could potentially cause as many problems as it aims to solve.
Richard Patrick, Cologne, Germany

It would be huge mistake to allow any legislation banning criticism of
ideas, as opposed to immutable characteristics such as race, onto the
statute book. The most extreme cases, which the Home Office assure us any
prosecutions would be limited to, are already covered by existing laws. This
Bill must be shelved or voted down in Parliament
Arron Fitzgerald, London

This proposed legislation is far too vague in its current form

Rev C, Morden, England

This proposed legislation is far too vague in its current form and could
easily be misapplied by those who don't understand the internal dynamics of
faith communities. It will also create a culture of anxiety among religious
leaders which may render them unable to communicate frankly about and with
each other. The vast majority of religious leaders do not wish to cause
offence but do want to be free to speak and dialogue without risk of
prosecution.

Those of a mind to stir up 'religious hatred' (whatever that means) are
unlikely to be restrained by the law since they usually adhere to a
fundamentalist worldview and believe that the law may be ignored when it
stands in the way of their perspective on faith. To lock up such people will
usually turn them into heroes for their communities in turn inspiring ever
greater extremes from their followers. Secular authorities have often had
trouble with extremist religious groups. History teaches us that such groups
may be moderated by dialogue. The religious hatred bill will hinder such
dialogue and hence be ultimately self-defeating.
Rev C, Morden, England

Any form of speech that stirs up hatred is surely wrong. Do those demanding
the right to free speech wish feel threatened by common sense?
Paul, Chelsea, UK

"Actor Rowan Atkinson is among those to have spoken out against the proposed
new law, arguing comedians could be at risk of prosecution for lampooning
religious figures." "Home Office ministers say this is not the point of the
legislation." It may not be the point of the legislation, but it may well be
a side-effect of it. Legislation of this magnitude cannot afford to be
ill-thought through, and I am worried about the knock-on effect that this
may well have in an already tense religious atmosphere.
Chris, Sheffield

I believe this is a law that will seriously endanger that legitimate free
criticism of different religions. Who is to tell someone that the criticism
made of their faith is not 'abusive' or 'insulting'?
James Croucher, Oxford

I actually agree with the new legislation. I think the point is regarding
not to make criticism at all if we are living in a civilised country. As for
the comedians who are worried, well I got one thing to say to
them.....humour is about making people laugh and good comedians do not leave
bad negative remarks in the air!
Mujtaba Tahir, Leicester

This bill will stifle discussion and debate

Samuel, Bristol, England

This bill will stifle discussion and debate. It is a ridiculous imposition
on our freedom to express our views. This is a tolerant, secular country -
this law is set to drive wedges between people with different faiths and
different intellectual beliefs. If someone is obviously rabble-rousing there
are laws already in place to deal with them. One of the most sacred things
in this world is intellectual independence and the freedom to express ideas
and beliefs. What next, a law that stops us criticising our own government?
Samuel, Bristol, England

I hate and despise all religions as being oppressive, repressive, fairy
tales and I am vocal about speaking out against all of them. Looks like I am
going become a criminal through the virtue of being myself. This is a law I
am going to be happy to break.
Jason Mead, Bristol

Sadly, yet another example of political correctness gone overboard. I agree
that any ratification of this bill will only act to curtail freedom of
speech. I agree that any attempt to deliberately incite religious hatred is
fundamentally wrong. However making it illegal will do nothing to deter the
small and ignorant percentage of the population who seem unable to respect
each others faiths, whatever they may be. We are supposed to live in a free
society and bills like this are clearly restricting this freedom bit by bit.
Alex Spendley, Bristol

I am sick of this government telling people what they can and can't say. I
understand the need to be aware of other peoples/cultures feelings and to
try and respect by making sure we all get on, but this latest bill is just
another excuse to try and curb freedom of speech. With ID cards and the
state's ability to imprison people without trial (under terrorism laws) we
seem to be slipping into a George Orwell novel. What's next? Maybe a
tracking system for cars to see where we're going.
Paul, Swansea

"Followers of different religions will be allowed to criticise each other,
but they will not be allowed to use insulting behaviour that is likely to
stir up hatred." So that's alright then... um... what about those of us who
aren't members of any religion?
Jonathan, London UK

The more new rights become law, the less rights you have yourself.
AS, London, UK

Whatever Home Office ministers regard as being the point of the Religious
Hatred legislation is irrelevant. My experience as a police officer tells me
that wherever certain behaviour fits the definition of an offence, there is
often pressure from interested parties to use it in different and creative
ways. The Protection from Harassment Act was intended to address issues of
stalking and is regularly used to address a list of behaviours totally
dissimilar in nature. The original point of the legislation cannot be relied
upon.
Michael, Birmingham

I work for a Christian organisation in one of the most culturally &
religiously diverse areas of England. I believe this bill is going to be
completely counter productive - increasing tensions between faith
communities rather than dissolving them. The strange thing is that I don't
know of anyone who actually wants this legislation! Still, there can't be
many pieces of legislation that unite evangelical Christians, gay rights,
secularists, and most mainstream religious bodies!
Peter Shields, Bradford

I note the comment from the Home office that it is not the point of this
bill to stifle free speech or to prosecute comedians who lampoon religious
figures. However this does not provide any comfort as I know the equivalent
bill in Australia was used for the purpose which it was not set up to do. In
this country the bill is criminal law and prosecution would be much more
severe. It will thus undoubtedly stifle free speech and sincere debate. It
must not be allowed to go ahead.
Nigel Robinson, Dudley UK

The Home Office might says that prosecuting comedians/free speech "is not
the point of the legislation" and it might not be the point of introducing
this but that is exactly what will happen. How can you legislate between
insulting behaviour and sarcasm?
V Gill, UK

I have a real concern that this bill will be constantly misused and cause
more conflict between faiths than it will heal. There have already been high
profile trials in Australia and the US where well meaning people have been
misinterpreted and taken to court, where there was no intention of causing
offence. When will the Government see sense on this Bill? I expect there
will be another use of the Parliament Act soon.
Karen Blackburn, Coventry England

A law that can result in 7 years prison for using "insulting words". George
Orwell would be proud (or terrified).
Johnny Gritz, London

This bill is a complete and utter disgrace and once again reinforces that
this government believes people of religion are superior to people of no
religion. It offers too much protection to the kind of legitimate,
reasonable criticism of religion that is so badly needed when there are so
many conflicts at home and abroad caused by religion. This will only give
more power to the kind of people who want to ban any plays, films or
television programmes that contain anything that challenges their belief. It
has absolutely no place in a supposedly liberal democracy.
Keith, London, UK

Religion should not be politically legislated; nor vice-versa. Remember all
the wars because of this?
Tony Fusaro, Fife, Scotland

As a Christian, my concern is that most faiths disagree on the basic truths
but must be allowed to promote them in an ethical manner. My faith and
(e.g.) Islam disagree fundamentally on who Jesus Christ is. Will I be able
to say, publicly, he's God and the only way to eternal life? Because that's
saying Muslims are wrong to believe what they do. If they're offended, will
I be prosecuted? Will Muslims be able to state their own beliefs publicly?
Because, in turn, they would be saying (e.g.) Hindus are wrong to believe
what they do. If Hindus take offence, will the Muslims fall foul of these
new laws?
Andrew Waugh, Reading, Berks

Surely there is already enough legislation - breach of the peace would seem
to cover these type of offences

Nigel Smith, London, UK

Where do you draw the line? Will this law punish those who incite hatred or
using insulting words against non-believers? Surely there is already enough
legislation - breach of the peace would seem to cover these type of
offences.
Nigel Smith, London UK

Yet again the nanny state rears its ugly head. I suppose at some point
speaking will be banned as will texting, maybe we should all find a cave and
some mammoths to hunt as well as communicating using the word ug, that is
unless people who are called "ug" object.
Mark Fox, Doncaster, England

How backwards are the critics to this law? They themselves obviously have
some issues with people of different religions. Personally, I am not
religious but I could never hate someone simply because they were and I
expect the same in return. This law is not an attack on free speech, but
trying to rid this world of one of its biggest problems, the people against
this should maybe get a clue.
Rob, Nottingham

It looks like the government has ignored the genuine fears that people
expressed last time this legislation was proposed, when loose wording was
seen as a religious extremist's licence to gag anyone else. If this
legislation goes ahead it must explicitly only protect people (individuals
as well as groups) of faith and not their beliefs, so the blasphemy laws
should be scrapped at the same time.
Fabian, UK

Protecting people of different faiths from persecution on the grounds of
their faith is all very well but will it also take into account the majority
of us who do not subscribe to one of these religious clubs? After all, we
are the most frequent victims of religious bigotry and hatred. I'm tired of
hearing myself referred as if I were some kind of aberrant with no moral
values whatsoever. It's time all of us were given this kind of protection!
Jim Francis, London

I believe religion is a personal thing. Being a Muslim, I neither hate the
religion of others nor like others to hate my religion. However, imposing a
law won't stop hatred. Society needs to change first.
Fahim Akhter, London

I do not believe that this is 'good law' as it is not specific and could
easily be misused by one extreme faction or religion against another
religion. Free speech must be preserved and the right to state that one
religion is wrong in its beliefs must remain.
E Thompson, Croydon Surrey

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM