MP Files Suit Against Pentagon Over Guantanamo Beating
By David Zucchino
Times Staff Writer

5:20 PM PDT, June 17, 2005

A U.S. military policeman who was beaten by fellow MPs during a
botched training drill at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, prison for
detainees has sued the Pentagon for $15 million, alleging that the
incident violated his constitutional rights.

Spec. Sean D. Baker, 38, was assaulted in January 2003 after he
volunteered to wear an orange jumpsuit and portray an uncooperative
detainee. Baker said the MPs, who were told that he was an unruly
detainee who had assaulted an American sergeant, inflicted a beating
that resulted in a traumatic brain injury.

Baker, a Persian Gulf War veteran who re-enlisted following the Sept.
11 terror attacks, was medically retired in April 2004. He said the
assault left him with seizures, blackouts, headaches, insomnia and
other psychological problems.

In the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Lexington, Ky., Baker
demanded reinstatement in the Army in a position that would
accommodate his medical disability. He said the Army put him on
medical retirement against his wishes.

"Somebody has to step up to serve, and I still want to serve," Baker
said Friday in a telephone interview from his home in Georgetown, Ky.
"There's some task somewhere I can do in the Army."

A Pentagon spokeswoman declined to comment, saying she had not seen
the lawsuit and could not discuss pending litigation.

The Pentagon first said that Baker's hospitalization following the
training incident was not related to the beating. Later, officials
conceded that he was treated for injuries suffered when a five-man MP
"internal reaction force" choked him, slammed his head several times
against a concrete floor and sprayed him with pepper gas.

The drill took place in a prison isolation wing reserved for
disruptive al-Qaida and Taliban detainees who had attacked MPs or
showered them with urine and feces.

Baker said he put on the jumpsuit and squeezed under a prison bunk
after being told by a lieutenant that he would be portraying an unruly
detainee. He said he was assured that MPs conducting the "extraction
drill" knew it was a training exercise and that Baker was an American
soldier.

As he was being choked and beaten, Baker said, he screamed a code
word, "red," and shouted: "I'm a U.S. soldier! I'm a U.S. soldier!"
The beating continued, he said, until the jumpsuit was yanked down
during the struggle, revealing his military uniform.

The lawsuit says of the extraction team: "Armed with the highly
inflammatory, false, incendiary and misleading information that had
been loaded into their psyches by their platoon leader, these
perceptions and fears . . . became their operative reality, and they
acted upon these fears, all to the detriment of Sean Baker."

No one has been disciplined or punished for the assault, said Baker's
lawyer, T. Bruce Simpson, Jr.

Last June, a military spokesman said an internal investigation in
February 2003 had concluded that no one was liable for Baker's
injuries. He said training procedures at Guantanamo had been reviewed
following the incident.

"While it is unfortunate that Spc. Baker was injured, the standards of
professionalism we expect of our soldiers mandate that our training be
as realistic as possible," the spokesman said.

Simpson said the Army's Criminal Investigation Division told him last
month that it had completed an investigation and had referred it to
the Army's legal section for review. A CID spokesman did not respond
to a request for comment Friday.

Simpson said that while Baker receives $2,350 a month in military
disability benefits, plus $1,000 a month in Social Security, he would
give it up in return for a military job.

"Even in light of all that happened to him," Simpson said, "he still
wants to serve his country."