"The manager can "make a pretty good go of it," Deputy Assistant
Director John Lewis testified. "But at the end of the season, he's not
going to be able to win over the guy on the other side of the field
who has all those same things _ plus 20 years of major experience."

Lewis suggested it might take the FBI until 2020 to get the sort of
top-level anti-terrorism experience it needs. "Hopefully, the bureau
is putting forward its best managers today. In this business, we don't
have anyone with 20 years experience who has worked counterterrorism
to the extent we're working it today," he said. "I would dare say that
some of the midlevel managers that we have today who have been
willingly neck-deep in this problem for the last two years are
probably among our most seasoned and experienced people."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/20/AR2005062000475.html?nav=hcmodule

washingtonpost.com
FBI Chief Won't Mandate Terror Expertise

By JOHN SOLOMON
The Associated Press
Monday, June 20, 2005; 4:42 PM

WASHINGTON -- FBI supervisors in the war on terror have acknowledged
they lacked expertise, but Director Robert Mueller says he is
unwilling to require such managers to have backgrounds in Arabic, the
Middle East or international issues.

"Let me tell you that we want to develop that within the bureau, but
making that an absolute requirement _ if you do not have it you would
be precluded from advancing in counterterrorism _ no," Mueller
testified recently.

The subject came up in the case of an agent who complained that he had
been passed over for promotion in favor of less-experienced men.

Mueller described his own expertise in Middle Eastern terrorism as
having been "relatively limited" when he took over the FBI a week
before the Sept. 11 attacks. For instance, he acknowledged he didn't
know that a blind sheik imprisoned for plotting attacks in New York
had been a spiritual adviser to Osama bin Laden.

"I am not certain of the role played between the blind sheik and bin
Laden," Mueller conceded.

Mueller also testified he didn't give any guidance to his top managers
to seek out the bureau's most experienced counterterrorism agents to
work on the war on terror immediately after Sept. 11.

"It was in their hands as to how they did that," Mueller said in a
wide-ranging deposition obtained by The Associated Press.

AP reported Sunday that most of the men Mueller appointed to run the
war on terror testified that, despite the FBI's pledge to build
national expertise in terrorism, they didn't believe Middle East and
terrorism experience had been important for choosing the agents they
promoted.

Gary Bald, the bureau's executive assistant director in charge of
terrorism, testified he had to get his terrorism training on the job
when he came to headquarters two years ago. And when asked about his
grasp of Middle Eastern culture and history, he replied: "I wish that
I had it. It would be nice."

When shown Bald's statements, Mueller defended his selection by saying
Bald had run the FBI's Baltimore office during the time of the
Washington sniper shootings.

"Running the office gave him some exposure to terrorism," Mueller
answered. "Yes, I think absolutely it would give, contribute to his
ability to handle counterterrorism."

The testimony has been given in a lawsuit brought against the FBI by
one of its most accomplished pre-Sept. 11 terror-fighting agents,
Bassem Youssef, who claims he was passed over for top jobs in
headquarters despite his expertise.

The testimony has concerned both Republican and Democratic
investigators on the Senate Judiciary Committee who are comparing the
FBI's actual practices in the war on terror with its sworn promises to
Congress and the American public.

The concerns, however, go beyond Congress.

The staff of the independent commission that reviewed Sept. 11
failures conducted interviews with FBI field agents in the war on terror.

"Many field agents felt the supervisory agents in the counterterrorism
division at headquarters lacked the necessary experience in
counterterrorism to guide their work," the staff wrote in one report.

Mueller described his top anti-terror managers' knowledge of dealing
with foreign governments, Middle East history, international terrorism
and al-Qaida this way: "Helpful, not essential."

"Leadership ability is transferable," he said. "And often you can pick
up the subject matter if you've got leadership skills."

An agent recently named to a top counterterrorism job compared the FBI
today with a baseball manager without baseball experience but good
leadership skills and experienced people around him.

The manager can "make a pretty good go of it," Deputy Assistant
Director John Lewis testified. "But at the end of the season, he's not
going to be able to win over the guy on the other side of the field
who has all those same things _ plus 20 years of major experience."

Lewis suggested it might take the FBI until 2020 to get the sort of
top-level anti-terrorism experience it needs. "Hopefully, the bureau
is putting forward its best managers today. In this business, we don't
have anyone with 20 years experience who has worked counterterrorism
to the extent we're working it today," he said. "I would dare say that
some of the midlevel managers that we have today who have been
willingly neck-deep in this problem for the last two years are
probably among our most seasoned and experienced people."

___

On the Net:

Audio excerpts from Mueller's deposition are available at:

http://wid.ap.org/inv/fbijobs.html