 <http://www.community-research.com> Http://www.community-research.com

625 North Washington St.

Suite 200

Alexandria, VA 22314

Phone: (703) 562-1011

Fax: (703) 519-4510

Mobile: (571) 221-6788

Press Release

Source: House Committee on Homeland Security

Chairman Cox: Responder Preparedness Must Include Prevention Training
Thursday June 23, 11:57 am ET

WASHINGTON, June 23 /PRNewswire/ -- House Homeland Security Chairman
Christopher Cox delivered the following statement at today's joint hearing
of the Subcommittee on Emergency Preparedness, Science, and Technology and
Subcommittee on Management, Integration, and Oversight, entitled "The
National Training Program: Is Anti-Terrorism Training for First Responders
Efficient and Effective?"

"Thank you, Mr. Chairman. I would also like to welcome and thank our
witnesses for appearing today before this joint Subcommittee hearing to
discuss the important issue of anti-terrorism training for first responders.

"I would especially like to welcome Ray Kelly, who -- as the Commissioner of
the New York City Police Department -- is very much on the front lines of
our war on terrorism and can speak directly to the importance of proper
training in this daily battle with terrorists.

"Training is one of the Department of Homeland Security's most important
missions. Our Nation's first responders -- at all levels of government --
need targeted and effective training to develop and hone the specialized
skills they need to fulfill their new homeland security responsibilities.
Anything less is simply unacceptable.

"Training our Nation's first responders, however, is an enormous task --
there are more than 1,000,000 firefighters, 800,000 law enforcement
officers, and 840,000 EMTs and paramedics across the country. As a result,
when it comes to first responder training, as well as so many other homeland
security responsibilities, we've got to make choices. We've got to focus our
resources, in this case, on training those first responders most at risk,
and on the most significant threats that our populations faces.

"We also must ensure that, to the maximum degree possible, terrorism
preparedness training includes the prevention of terrorism. We must never
fail to take advantage of opportunities to stop terrorist in the first place
- - even as we rightfully prepare for the worst.

"We also must make sure our Federal house is in order when it comes to first
responder training programs. The Homeland Security Act of 2002 designates
the Office for Domestic Preparedness -- now the Office of State and Local
Government Coordination and Preparedness (OSLGCP) -- as the primary agency
for coordinating Federal terrorism preparedness training.

"Unfortunately, coordinating Federal anti-terrorism training for first
responders is easier said than done. At least seven Federal departments --
including the Departments of Defense, Energy, Health and Human Services, and
Transportation -- offer hundreds of training courses. Even within DHS
itself, OSLGCP has no monopoly on training -- the Directorates for Emergency
Preparedness and Response, Information Analysis and Infrastructure
Protection, and Border and Transportation Security each trains first
responders. This patchwork of programs creates opportunities for
duplication, inefficiency, and confusion.

"Yet, even with all of these Federal training programs, State and local
governments, academic institutions, and professional organizations still
provide the vast majority of training for first responders -- including in
partnership with DHS. I look forward to hearing the testimony of these
training partners today with respect to the Department's programs.

"How effective are they? Is the Department doing enough to leverage existing
State, regional, and local training infrastructure? Does the Department
certify non-Federal training courses in a timely manner? Are we training
first responders in the most efficient way possible?

"Again, I want to thank all our witnesses for being with us today. I look
forward to your answers to these and other questions about first responder
anti-terrorism training. Thank you, Mr. Chairman, and I yield back the
balance of my time."

  _____

Source: House Committee on Homeland Security