"The Army is already the smallest it has been since the Second World
War. If the current trend in volunteering for the Army continues for
long, the Pentagon may have to consider disbanding units or requesting
the reinstatement of the draft. Most military experts consider either
option to be a disaster for the Army as an institution, reducing its
currently limited capabilities.

Across America, the National Guard, designed to assist civil
authorities in domestic crises (like the pandemic of a lethal avian
flu that some public-health planners fear), is in tatters."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/19/magazine/19ADVISER.html?

June 19, 2005
War and Weakness
By RICHARD A. CLARKE

In Washington, people in government often communicate with one another
and with the public in guarded, even coded statements. The mass media
seldom detect, note or explain these messages. Lately one of those
messages has been coming from senior American military officials, both
on and off the record. Their message, decrypted, is that things in
Iraq are not going well and may not do so for a while. Their corollary
charge is that the American military has been seriously damaged.

The top man in the military is about to retire. Perhaps sensing the
freedom of speech that comes with retirement, Gen. Richard B. Myers
has let slip two interesting observations. First, he noted that the
insurgency is about as strong now as it was a year ago. At a second
appearance, he noted that insurgencies like the one in Iraq have
lasted 7 to 12 years. It's not hard to see the message that we may
well be fighting in Iraq in 2012, at the end of the next president's
first term.

Although official administration spokesmen have for some time been
saying things like ''We have turned a corner in Iraq'' or ''We have
broken the back of the insurgency'' or ''The insurgents are in a
last-gasp campaign,'' the truth seems to be otherwise. A brief quiet
followed the Iraqi election, but it has been broken by a sustained
round of insurgent attacks. Iraqi civilian casualties in May were up
by 33 percent over April, while Iraqi police deaths were up 75 percent
over the same period. American military dead in Iraq more than doubled
last month over the lull in March. Because the need for large numbers
of troops there has remained much longer than originally planned (some
reports suggest that Pentagon civilian planners anticipated a force of
only 30,000 by 2004; we now have more than four times that number in
Iraq), many of the active-duty Army units in Iraq are on their second
deployments.

In addition to the thousands of American and Iraqi casualties, one
victim of this slow bleeding in Iraq is the American military as an
institution. Across America, the National Guard, designed to assist
civil authorities in domestic crises (like the pandemic of a lethal
avian flu that some public-health planners fear), is in tatters.
Re-enlistments are down, training for domestic support missions is
spotty at best, equipment is battered and many units are either in
Iraq or on their way to or from it. Now the rot is beginning to spread
into the regular Army. Recruiters are coming up dry, and some, under
pressure to produce new troops, have reportedly been complicit in
suspect applications.

The implications for the all-volunteer military are significant. With
almost every unit in the Army on the conveyor belt into and out of
Iraq, few units are really combat-ready for other missions. If the
North Korean regime that is often called crazy were to roll its huge
army the few kilometers into South Korea, significant American
reinforcements would be a long time coming. This raises the
possibility that the United States may have to resort to nuclear
weapons to stop the North Koreans, as has been contemplated with
increasing seriousness since the last Nuclear Posture Review in 2002.

The Army is already the smallest it has been since the Second World
War. If the current trend in volunteering for the Army continues for
long, the Pentagon may have to consider disbanding units or requesting
the reinstatement of the draft. Most military experts consider either
option to be a disaster for the Army as an institution, reducing its
currently limited capabilities.

By the end of President Bush's term, the war in Iraq could end up
costing $600 billion, more than six times what some administration
officials had projected. Now the many other costs are also beginning
to become clearer.

Maybe it is time to at least begin a public dialogue about ''staying
the course.'' Opponents of an ''early'' departure of American forces
say it would result in chaos in Iraq. Yet we already have chaos, and
how sure can we be that sectarian fighting will not follow our
departure whenever we leave? Is it unpatriotic to ask if the major
reason for the fighting in Iraq is that we are still there?

Richard A. Clarke, an author and security consultant, was a senior
adviser to the last three presidents.