"If thousands of jihadists hone their skills in the streets and back
alleys of Iraq and then return to their countries, it could mark the
beginning of a new wave of sophisticated terror. Just as Al Qaeda was
born in the killing fields of Afghanistan, new groups could grow in
the back alleys of Iraq. And many of these foreigners are kids with no
previous track record of terror. Some even have European passports,
which means that they will be very difficult to screen out of the
United States or any other country.

Additionally, by the fall of 2006, it will be virtually impossible to
maintain current troop levels in Iraq because the use of reserve
forces will have been stretched to the limit. That's when pressure to
bring the boys home will become irresistible. And that would be bad
news for the Iraqi government, which is still extremely weak and in
many areas dysfunctional."

"...we need a full-scale revitalization of Iraq policy, with resources
to match it. Muddling along will ensure we don't lose in Iraq, but we
won't win either."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8359248/site/newsweek/

The Good News and Bad News
This is the picture in Iraq: A conflict that the United States cannot
easily lose, but also cannot easily win.
By Fareed Zakaria
Newsweek

July 4 issue - I don't see how Iraq's insurgency can win. It lacks the
support of at least 80 percent of the country (Shiites and Kurds), and
by all accounts lacks the support of the majority of the Sunni
population as well. It has no positive agenda, no charismatic leader,
virtually no territory of its own, and no great power suppliers.
That's why parallels to Vietnam and Algeria don't make sense. But
despite all these obstacles, the insurgents launched 700 attacks
against U.S. forces last month, the highest number since the invasion.

They are getting more sophisticated, now using shaped charges, which
concentrate the blast of a bomb, and infrared lasers, which cannot be
easily jammed. They kill enough civilians every week that Iraq remains
insecure, and electricity, water and oil are still supplied in starts
and stops. That's where things stand in Iraqâ€"it's a conflict
the
United States cannot easily lose but also cannot easily win.

The positive picture is worth painting. Iraq has had successful
elections, a new (and more legitimate) government, Sunnis included
into the political process, and is working on a new constitution. The
insurgents' attacks on ordinary Iraqis are having the predictable
effect of making them lose popular support. When I was in Iraq
recently, several Iraqis (all Sunnis) told me that they were losing
respect for and patience with the insurgents. "These guys are thugs
who are killing Iraqis, not resistance fighters battling the
occupation," one of them said. And finally, Iraqi politicians have
been more mature and steadfast than one could have ever hoped
forâ€"making compromises, arriving at consensus and moving
forward under
tremendous personal danger.

What I worry about is not a defeat along the lines of Vietnam. It is
something different. If the insurgents keep up their attacks, prevent
reconstruction and renewed economic activity and, most important,
continue to attract jihadists to Iraq from all over the region and the
world. Last month's leaked CIA report, which described Iraq as the new
on-the-ground training center for Islamic extremists, points to the
real danger. If thousands of jihadists hone their skills in the
streets and back alleys of Iraq and then return to their countries, it
could mark the beginning of a new wave of sophisticated terror. Just
as Al Qaeda was born in the killing fields of Afghanistan, new groups
could grow in the back alleys of Iraq. And many of these foreigners
are kids with no previous track record of terror. Some even have
European passports, which means that they will be very difficult to
screen out of the United States or any other country.

Additionally, by the fall of 2006, it will be virtually impossible to
maintain current troop levels in Iraq because the use of reserve
forces will have been stretched to the limit. That's when pressure to
bring the boys home will become irresistible. And that would be bad
news for the Iraqi government, which is still extremely weak and in
many areas dysfunctional.

The good news is that America has stopped blundering in Iraq. After
two and a half years of errors, since late 2004, Washington has been
urging political inclusion, speeding up economic reconstruction and
building up local forces. But U.S. policy still lacks central
directionâ€"and the energy, vision, increased resources and push
that
such direction would bring. Who is running Iraq policy in Washington?

The intense and bitter interagency squabbles of the past three
yearsâ€"and the disastrous mistakes made by the Defense
Department and
the Coalition Provisional Authorityâ€"have left Iraq something
of an
orphan. Day to day, Iraq policy is now run by the State Department and
the U.S. Army, but those two chains of command never meet.

On the civilian side, for example, the American effort is massively
understaffed. Several Army officers in Iraq told me that their jobs
would be greatly improved if they had more people from the State
Department, USAID and other civilian agencies helping. One said to me
last year, "I've had 25-year-old sergeants adjudicating claims between
Turkomans and Kurds, when they don't really know how they are
different. We could use political officers who could brief them."

The vacuum is being filled by the U.S. Army, which has been building
bridges and schools, securing neighborhoods and power plants and, yes,
adjudicating claims between Turkomans and Kurds. It is doing these
things because someone has to. Secretary Rumsfeld has long argued that
American troops should never engage in nation building, leaving that
to locals. But while we waited for Iraqis to do it, chaos broke out
and terror reigned. So the Army on the ground has ignored Rumsfeld's
ideology and has simply made things work. (It's a good rule of thumb
for the future.)

But if we want to move beyond coping, we need a full-scale
revitalization of Iraq policy, with resources to match it. Muddling
along will ensure we don't lose in Iraq, but we won't win either.

Write the author at [EMAIL PROTECTED]